Thread: Newbie Codec Question

Default Newbie Codec Question

All,

I am trying to encode a video (Avi) so that it will be playable on most peoples PCs.

Here is the list of codecs I have available

Cinepak Codec by Radius
    DV Video Encoder
    Intel Indeo(R) Video R.3.2
    Intel Indeo Video4.5
    Ligos Indeo XP Video 5.2
    VP61 Advanced Profile
    WMVideo Advanced Encoding DMO

What is the best one to use so that i get the most coverage?

Thanks in advance

ED BOC

Blog Entries

WMV. Best quality, most portable, imho

Thanks for that!

I will give it a go
    ED BOC
    ¶:o?

Blog Entries

WMVs will stream in most web pages on most systems / browsers. I reccomend a 500k bit rate at 320 x 240 constant bit rate for acceptable quality and max streamability.

If you use a 1mbit bit rate you can compress most vids using 640 x 480.

1.5 to 2 mbit gives sd resoloution and dvd quality (or better), but eats your bandwidth.

As an update

I rendered out a 1 min clip with transitions and effects and the only codec I could get to work on all the PC's here ( Win 98, Win 2000 and XP) was

***** Intel Indeo (R) Video 3.2 *****

Some of the other codecs do play but are very jumpy and slow.

Thanks
    ED BOC
    ¶:o?

Default Error Rendering

Yes, i've tried the same w/ mine on most of my codecs....for an AVI output, the only ones I can get to work properly are:

Indeo
    Cinepak

And here is my list of available codecs from Premiere Pro 1.5:

3ivx D4 4.5.1 Po Video Codec
    Cinepak Codec by Radius
    DivX Codec 4.12
    DivX 5.2.1 Codec
    Huffyuv v2.1.1 - CCESP Patch v0.2.5
    Indeo Video 5.10
    Indeo Video 4.5
    Intel IYUV Codec
    Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V1
    Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2
    Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V3
    Microsoft RLE
    Microsoft Video 1
    Microsoft Windwos Media Video 9
    VP31 Compressor
    VP60 Simple Profile
    VP61 Advanced Profile
    VP62 Heightened Sharpness PRofile
    XviD MPEG-4 Codec
    None

I've tried most, but not all....

Default Encoding in WMV9 problems

Seems many people are saying that WMV9 is the best codec to use for the most accessibility for many users.

However, when I "Make Movie" from Premiere Pro 1.5 & pick the WMV9 encoder, I get the following message when I click the [Configure] button next to "Compressor" line in "Export Movie Settings" window:

You have not istalled the complete Microsoft Windows Video 9 VCM pakcage in your system. In order to use this codec effectively, plzease download the complete pakcage from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...odecs/vcm.aspx.
    The package includes help documentation and samiple parameter files.

So, I downloaded "Windwows Media Encoder 9 Series" - this title is from the install window title - installer (9.45Mb) & installed it onto my Windows XP Home PC. However, even after installing this package, I still get the same message as above.

Do i have the wrong install package?? Can anyone plz lead me to the correct installer if so? or enlighten me as to what I'm doing wrong??

Much appreciated.....

Default Encoding in WMV9 problems

Seems many people are saying that WMV9 is the best codec to use for the most accessibility for many users.

However, when I "Make Movie" from Premiere Pro 1.5 & pick the WMV9 encoder, I get the following message when I click the [Configure] button next to "Compressor" line in "Export Movie Settings" window:

You have not istalled the complete Microsoft Windows Video 9 VCM pakcage in your system. In order to use this codec effectively, plzease download the complete pakcage from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...odecs/vcm.aspx.
    The package includes help documentation and samiple parameter files.

So, I downloaded "Windwows Media Encoder 9 Series" - this title is from the install window title - installer (9.45Mb) & installed it onto my Windows XP Home PC. However, even after installing this package, I still get the same message as above.

Do i have the wrong install package?? Can anyone plz lead me to the correct installer if so? or enlighten me as to what I'm doing wrong??

Much appreciated.....

Default Found VCM installer...but...

I just found the correct VCM installer which Premiere Pro is now happy with & no more error message....

But after rendering several version of AVI files w/ this codec, none of the settings I've tried so far gives me a good clean render.

Does anyone have tips or a web page or something that can help me get decent quality WMV9 avi's??

Blog Entries

I think your original problem was that you were building the video from Export > Movie rather than using EXport > Adobe Media Encoder.

If you go this route you'll have a whole host of encoding presets for Window Media Video. I would suggest you use one of those. I would not recommend creating an AVI using a WMV codec, not least of which because WMP will prbably complain that you are attempting to play a file with the wrong file extension.