Thread: ITS HDV TIME !!!

Default ITS HDV TIME !!!

Hi all,

If this has been asked before.. SORRY !!

I am upgrading to filming high-def next year (Sony A1E) and so I'm looking at upgrading my P.C.. I was thinking laptop, but as they are so bloody expensive for what i need I'll pass. Unless you know different.

Could any of you top people help me. I will hopefully only use the new P.C for editing, in either HDV or DVCAM. So any suggetions on make / models, spec's and prices. I'm looking at around 700-800 tops..Also I'm swinging towards Premier PRO 1.5 for editing as i am using Premier 6 at the moment. Any other Idea's.???

Thanks for any help.

Dean B

Premiere Pro 1.5 (patched to 1.51) will allow you to edit HDV so any PC capable of running it will do.

A couple of things to point out though.

1) When speccing up your PC make sure you have at least two physical hard drives. one for the Windows OS and one for your video editing.

2) As much Ram as possible

3) And, if you are serious about video editing HDV in Premiere then be VERY aware of the following....

The cineform codec that comes with Prmeiere 1.51 is NOT COMPLETE. That's about the best way I can find to mention it. What this means is that you will be able to edit your HDV captures in Premiere but not edit them in other s/w like After Effects. In order to be able to use you captures in AE (for example) then YOU NEED to purchase the full version of Aspect HD from Cineform.

This reads negative and if you are on a budget then I guess it is. However this is a great product and your HDV editing will be realtime. It's just a bit of extra expence, that's all.

Cheers Alan,

Everywhere I turn It's more expense !!!

Oh, well life goes on.

Keep the help coming guy's. Brand names, costs, Idea's etc.. It all helps.

Dean B

I don't want to put you off. That sort of money will get you a decent enough PC to edit high def right now.

being able to use AE is a bonus. And, quiote frankly, if you can afford AE6.5 then the cost of Aspect HD is very doable.

Alan's right (again !) -

PPro 1.5.1 with Cineform Aspect HD is the way to go if you want to edit HDV because it takes the strain off your PC. Bottom line is you can buy a bog standard 3.2GHz hyperthreader from PC World (as I did), add a SATA video drive (as I also did) and you can edit, scrub and playback HD as if it was SD - its effortless. It will even play four superimposed layers of HD video from the timeline (probably more, but I got bored adding layers).
    Other NLEs, such as Sony Vegas and Pinnacle Liquid Edition will edit HDV natively without the intermediate codec conversion stage that Aspect HD requires, but you need a lot of extra processor power to edit MPEG2 on the fly - preferably dual processors or dual cores (or both).

GG