Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Planning & Filming a Wedding Video

Awesome thread....lots of info. I will be filming my first wedding for a friend of mine at the end of september. Thx for the info everyone.

I am a photographer, but May people dont even go to a wedding, so they dont know what to take a when to be where. So here is a quick guide to where to be and when.

The good thing is that you can move about the clips to make them look that much better in creating a time line.

I will run from the Arivals.
    The groom will be at the wedding venue 10-15 minutes before the ceremony starts, so get there about 30 minutes early so you can caputre the arrival of the groom. Hope he walks inside, he will pop out to the door with the ushers so you can get some waiting at the door moments.

Ushering
    Get the ushers talking to the groom and if visable talking to the person carryout the registration, look for users seating people as well.
    By this time the photographer should be arriving, a good sign that the brides party is on the way.

Get OUT SIDE

While you are waiting take the exterior shots of the venue, but dont wander off to far, keep an eye on whats going on inside, as some great things can happen.

Record the cars comming up and people getting out of the cars.
    Capture dads arm in arm while they are waiting, you can hide in the back then stay there and you can get the walk down the ailse.

[TIP] Chat to other people with video cameras and ask if you can have a copy, they are usually quite happy to do so, take there number.

Set up your tripod, get a liquid head one as they move very well and you get no jutter, cheap tripods will give you shake so get one with some weight.
    Shoot from the back, or if you can shoot down and be quite.
    The other popular place to shoot is behind the ceremony guy/gal just off from one side. This is a great place to get the right shots and sound shouldnt be so much of an issue.

Once they have gone to the registry you can get some shots of the guests, its worth checking at what point this will happen as its not always the same.
    But if its near to the end shoot from the back if you are not there, and get ready for the walk back down the ailse.
    WATCH OUT - dont get in the photographers way, they will proberly be in yours.

Get ready to run out side the door and shoot back in, if your running on manual you may want to change this. - Yeah I must not forget, lighting is always bad or off when you shooting at most venues - I think that this is a deliberate thing they do -

Shoot the guest photo calls as you see fit, you wont need to get them all or it will be a long and boring video. Get over to the car, on average its about 30 minutes after the B&G have gone out of the door.
    Get on the far side of the car as the photographer will want to be on the side they get in, Dont go to close to the car as you will be in the photos.

Pan as the car goes past and thats it. Hope they got some old thing with a top speed of 30MPH and get to the reception.

Set up as they are greeted at the reception venue champers all round so get yourself a well deserved drink!

Just get some people chatting, and ask people for there video gretting/well wishes as these can be added to the video end titles to make it very personal.
    film a few shots of the venue of the reception and distant shots of the guests.

The photographer will take the B&G away for some private shots, dont follow
    In this time you can get reeady for the speaches, sound test and get set up, fit you happen to be seated in the best location then shoot from there, if your first in then you may nick the photographers spot, you may want to work with them on the day so your not on each other feet leading to at each other neck.

The first dance, Often many photographer are not there, if its dark then get behind the disco lights, this will give you some lighting as every one will be on the other side using there flashes which will not be good, but fine for you.
    Shoot it wide open as the apeture will be at its widest and allow more light into the camera. Finish off getting the well wishes from the guest that were not at the first reception.

Ask the bride and groom how they felt the day went, seperate always is more funny, chat to the parents and bridal party.

Stills from a Video camera are rubbish, so get your self a nice camera to get some stills of the day, A used D70 with a nice lens should be around 200, and the same for a D50
    Need Pro Computer advice?

Blog Entries

On another thread G...... you have asked about starting to do wedding videos, I think it is very unhelpfull to give advice on how to be a weeding videographer when you have not done one....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    On another thread G...... you have asked about starting to do wedding videos, I think it is very unhelpfull to give advice on how to be a weeding videographer when you have not done one....
    Sorry, was this directed at me?

I am a wedding photographer and have worked with videographers, so yes, I do know about wedding, you done any or are you just mouthing off?
    Need Pro Computer advice?

Default Pete Dore

I heartily agree with all coments made so far including blacking out the tape other suggestions do not use the date code or titals on virgin footage you cannot get it off afterwards. Be careful of photographers. They are selfish people who think they are in control of the days media. Get the girls being photgraphed get shots of inside the car and dropit into a cut away when the car leaves home. Get the bestman to shake the grooms hand band wish him all the best. Ask the couple to remove their rings then take close up of them against the dress as they put them back on again . Slip in as a cutaway . It adds to the continuity.

My take on the photographer vs videographer is this:

The photographer's normally there to stage manage shots. Even the 'journalistic' style photographer will conduct the guests in one way or other to get the shots the bride and groom want. They're paid to get those seminal shots that everyone expects and they have to boss everyone around to some extent.

On the other hand the videographer is there to film the day. To act as a fly on the wall and produce a documentary of the event. I would see myself as filming what unfolds rather than orchestrating the day, and I always treat the photographer with the greatest respect - their actions on the day can directly or indirectly produce some great visuals.

With that in mind, my personal preference is for the videographer to float around in the background. Generally people can't act; if they see you filming they act differently so my aim is not to be seen!

I agree with all the tips from PureJammy, except I'd like to add a couple of things. Talk to the couple, and ask what it is that THEY want as a wedding video. They are the ones getting married, and they are the ones who have to live with what was shot. I shot both of my brothers' weddings, and both were very different as they both have different tastes. And listen to them ONLY, and not the parents of the bride OR groom!! lol
    Believe me, that's just an invitation for disaster!
    It's the couple's special day, and they should have what they want.
    Also, some people may not want every single second of the wedding shot, and and as in the case of one of my brothers, the video was just a nice montage of the three days with close friends and family at the reherasal, rehersal party, the wedding, and the day after, all to music that they loved. It worked really well, and the only dialogue is from the reception speeches and dinner. Also try and get the closest friends and family to give their well wishes to the couple on tape in secret..it's a nice surprise when they watch the video later on.
    Have fun!!
    Last edited by digitaliris; 03-27-2007 at 03:37 AM.

tamworth , england, uk ,earth, solar system

a big problem is that you need an organized shot list of whats going to happen also make sure you are the official or only videographer otherwise other videographers will get in the way of your shots. also ask the church or wedding reception etc. if filming is possible and plan where you are going to stand etc. about a week or more before the wedding

I am going to try blacking out the video tapes because I have had hiccups during the editing process, my only concern is the extra labor on the camera itself. I hate to even download the video through my camera because of this concern. LOL Is this a valid concern?

I've got my first booking for a wedding video in June ...I've just completed a video production course. I won't be charging anything for my first project. It is an Asian wedding, so it is gona be hectic.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast