Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning & Filming a Wedding Video

Ahh ... makes perfect sense to me now. Thanks for the thorough explanation.

Default how was the filming?......

Filming my brothers wedding went alright. My first tip would be to not get blind drunk the night before (thank god for tripods!)

But seriously, things went alright, although i wish i had planned where i was going to be stood for the ceremony. I had to stay seated the whole time so there is just one shot really, apart from a few pans, and i did use a second back camera to help with cutaways in edit.

My only major problem was sound. I knew this would be a problem, but i assumed that the speeches would be on a mic, so at least the whole room could hear them. They weren't, and my other brother who was best man isn't the loudest of speakers, so the best man speech was pretty useless. I couldn't afford radio mics, though they would be my first choice, and i reccomend even using a plug in mic on a long lead. It might look very unprofessional, but not as unprofessional as the wedding video will look without the speeches.

Many thanks for everyones help, it really did help me. And definitley plan as much as possible before.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by purejammy
    The reason it saves on hiccups is because (quite often) amateur footage has very small gaps of blank tape (no timecode written) between shots.

Most video editors, and their software tools, will use timecode to capture various scenes. If there are gaps in the time code then each shot (after the gap) starts again at zero. This makes the timecode method of capture worse than useless and increases the amount of time the Video Editor has to put in to capture video.

So black (write timecode to) the tape and avoid the hassle.

Enjoy
    hi purejammy! newbie here.... question again regd the timecode. sorry, im a little bit blur... :(

pls tell me if get u correctly.... to write the timecode to the tape, i should put the blank tapes on the videocam, put the lens caps and record from start to finish, then rewind and start filming?...?

thanks in advance for ur reply....

cheers!

Thats absolutely correct.

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Default Timecode

If you record over existing recording, you will get new timecode. Your old timecode will be erased altogether.

Default FAQ on Wedding Videos

Unfortunately my post has come too late for the weddings discussed above. For those getting ready to shoot your friend's or sister's wedding I am putting together some advices from my personal experience as a professional news and wedding cameraman/editor.

Check it out at http://faqvideo.com.

Hi Andrei, that looks like a fantastic site you've got there!!

Default No problem,

Really glad to help.
    I am still working on my site.
    Send me your questions to andrei@brightmotion.com.

If you want great sound at a wedding (fairly cheap as well) buy an MP3 player with "line in facility" and a tie clip mic (i use a sony) that has it's own small lithium battery. MP3s are small enough to fit in the grooms inside jacket pocket and you get loud clear vows. Also in Vegas it's not to difficult to sinc the sound/video.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

Recording sound separately, even if it's on an 'el cheapo' MP3 player/sound recorder is a very, very good idea. I do it often.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast