Thread: Ok, we have 3 finalists

Default Ok, we have 3 finalists

ok, i narrowed it down to 2 different processors, so help me out:

AMD 64 4000:
    Pros - highly rated processor, got rave reviews from actual users.
    Cons - single core, costs more than a dual-core Intel.

AMD 64 X2 3800:
    Pros - AMD makes a very nice dual core; very highly rated.
    Cons - i don't necessarily need dual core right now, and there isn't much software out there that takes advantage of dual core.

Intel Pentium D 830:
    Pros - a dual core processor; regarded as more stable due to Intel brand name; dual core will be much more utilized in several years' time.
    Cons - i don't necessarily need dual core right now, and there isn't much software out there that takes advantage of dual core.

this PC will be a dedicated video editing rig (with some gaming in there). i will have my current PC on the same desk to use for more common usage (internet, text sim gaming, Photoshop, etc.). i'd pretty much want the dual-core chip just for the sake of having a dual-core chip. i'm leaning towards that AMD chip, for the record. it's much more practical.

if you guys like that chip, can you recommend a nice mobo to go with it (under $150, i'm having my wife purchase my mobo and case). thanks.

Intel, yeah definetly the D processor, becasue next year when windows vista comes out, you will surely utilize the dual core as well
    Mac G5 workstation with 4 gigs of ram, 4x250 gig drives in raid 5. High availability cluster server running centos for a server. 2xCanon GL2 cameras.

TuscSports.com

Quote Originally Posted by grewell912
    Intel, yeah definetly the D processor, becasue next year when windows vista comes out, you will surely utilize the dual core as well
    ok, thanks for the feedback. i added one more option in there, the AMD 64 X2 3800. tell me what you think.

Blog Entries

I think my editor, vegas will use 2 cores.

AMD for me, it is a proper dual core chip from the ground up my spoddy friends tell me and will outperform the intel most of the time (they say).

In recent tests done by ZDNet AMD Dual Core processors won hands down.
    http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/hard...9226688,00.htm