Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinnacle 9.4.3 Won't Load or Render File

Default Pinnacle 9.4.3 Won't Load or Render File

Like most Pinnacle Studio 9 users, I discovered far too late just how buggy and unstable the program is. I’m kinda stuck now though. I’ve devoted a number of weeks to a 40-minute video – my wife put together an amazing yet horribly edited “movie” for my last birthday that I’m trying to repair for her – and I really don’t want to flush all that effort away. (The video has about 35 scenes with a similar number of transitions and music/audio/text overlays).

I used Studio 9.3 (upgraded to 9.4.3) to edit the entire movie and, just when I got to the finish line, Studio 9 decided to arbitrarily crash every time I attempt to load the file. The hard drive chugs away noisily as the file loads (why Pinnacle can’t make better use of my 1GB of RAM I have no idea) and, after about five or six minutes, my entire movie is laid out for me on the timeline. There’s no image in the viewport, however, and – as soon as I click on a scene or title to put something there – the “we are closing, sorry for any inconvenience” message pops up (after about a 30-second delay). I’ve tried loading the file from the “make movie” screen but that generates an even faster CTD.

I’ve uninstalled (including the RegDelete routine) and reinstalled several times to no avail. I’ve tried using version 9.3.5 and, although that build allows me to load and edit the file; it won’t display any image in the viewport window; it won’t “play” the movie; and it stalls out three-quarters of the way through the render process (always at the exact same spot) with an “error in file” message. This rendering error is specific to 9.3.5 because 9.4.3 does not stall out at this spot (I did some test renders on another file with both builds and encountered the same thing – 9.3.5 doesn’t like some of the imported MPEG2 files I used while 9.4.3 has no problem with them). I also clean off everything in the background (anti-virus, etc.) while I’m attempting this. As well, I also upped my virtual memory size to 2048MB from its default 768MB.

To make things even more frustrating, I was able to get the finished file to load (with 9.4.3) exactly two times in the last few days after approximately 100 attempts. On both of these occasions, I was able to get the render process started but it eventually failed with an arbitrary crash-to-desktop (not a file error message like 9.3.5, just a random hard disk or memory-related CTD).

When I sit and listen to my hard drive chugging away for about four or five minutes each time 9.4.3 attempts to load the file I’m reminded just how shoddy this software is. (I really can’t think of another program that works the hard drive this much). Has anyone else experienced anything similar? And, if so, did you ever come up with a workaround?

Alternatively, does anyone think that upgrading to version 10 will do me any good here?

2. Default

I would suggest you try first to go back to 9.3.5. Studio 10 is still far from perfect and asks a lot of your PC.

9.4.3 is more stable than the previous versions. And 10 is not yet stable.

4. Default

In my hands, 9.4.3 is as stable as 9.3.5. However, still many people suffer from an unstable 9.4.3 and went back to 9.3.5.

Not me.

Quote Originally Posted by theo22
    I would suggest you try first to go back to 9.3.5. Studio 10 is still far from perfect and asks a lot of your PC.
    I did go back to 9.3.5 (because that's the only version that allows me to open and edit the file) but the viewport window is permanently blank (for some reason, 9.3.5 will not play any MPEG2 videos) and it errors out (at about the three-quarter mark) every time I try to "Make Movie".

Quote Originally Posted by svhs
    9.4.3 is more stable than the previous versions. And 10 is not yet stable.
    It's not stable for me. It won't load my project without crashing (as the page file usage numbers scream off the scale at 1.6GBs).

Any idea when the 9.5 patch is coming out?

I don't think Pinnacle/Avid will release a 9.5 patch. This is probably the last we've seen of Studio 9... they're already promoting the 10 version heavily...

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by svhs
    Not me.
    Yes I know, some people experience it just the other way around. On the dutch Pinnacle forum, we have tried to explain this, but we never found the solution.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by amahood
    Any idea when the 9.5 patch is coming out?
    Pinnacle very recently confirmed again that they are working on it.
    Did you ever consider to re-install Studio?

Use these guidlines of Pinnacle:

"Uninstall/Reinstall procedures for Studio 9

This FAQ will guide you through an uninstall and reinstall of the Pinnacle Studio 9 software. There are three sections. The basic uninstall should cover most uninstall and reinstall needs. The more advanced section covers some problems the Basic uninstall does not and a section on how to do an install using safe mode for cases were installing the software is being problematic.

Section 1
    Basic uninstall and reinstall Steps.

1. Go to Start, Control Panel, and then click on Add or Remove Programs.

2. Select and uninstall any Studio 9 patches.

3. Now select Studio 9 and click the Change/Remove button. Follow any on-screen instructions to uninstall this software.

4. Insert your Studio 9 CD into your CD or DVD drive. The CD should auto-launch. If it does not, use Windows Explorer to browse to the CD. Look In the Setup folder, click on the setup.exe file to begin the installation of Studio 9.

5. Run the latest update. You can find it here if you have not already downloaded it. We do not recommend installing any of the earlier patches.

Section 2

If the above steps fail, or you have the same problem in S9 after the uninstall and reinstall procedure, try the following steps:

Advanced uninstall and reinstall steps.

1. Go to Start, Control Panel, and then click on Add Remove Programs.

2. Select and uninstall any Studio 9 patches.

3. Now select Studio 9 and click the Change/Remove button. Follow any on-screen instructions to uninstall this software.

4. Download Regdelete from our site. Click here to save it to a location like the desktop.

5. Run Regdelete by double-clicking the icon on the desktop (or wherever you saved it)

6. In the pull down box choose “All products” and hit the clean button. You can then close the window.

7. Delete the following folder. This is the default location for the Studio 9 program:
    (Before you follow these steps please go into Studio then Help> view activation keys, either write all these keys down or print the page.)

C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\Studio 8
    C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\Hollywood FX
    C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\Studio 9
    C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\Pixie (double-check this one)
    (Some of these folders may not be there depending on your installation)

If you installed Studio 9 onto a drive other than C: or a folder other than the default, delete the folder where you installed Studio 9.

(if you are not having a problem with Invalid Serial numbers or a previous version being detected on install even after it has been removed you can skip the below steps. If you forgot to do this you can go to this page and regenerate them)

7A: Do a search on the hard drive for Pinnacle, Delete any folders you find.

7B: Run Reg delete again, this time select User registration and activation Data,

7C: Go to Start>Search>All files and folders> search for Pixie. If it finds A Pixie folder, make a copy of it, and then delete it.

8. Insert your Studio 9 CD into your CD or DVD drive. The CD should auto launch. If it does not, use Windows Explorer to browse to the CD. In the Setup folder, click on the setup.exe file to begin the installation of Studio 9

9. Download and run the latest update. You can find it here if you have not already downloaded it. We do not recommend installing any of the earlier patches.

Sub Section A:

Use this section if you are having problems on Step 8, 9 or crashing on install.

1. Put the Studio 9 CD in the CD-ROM drive. Close the auto install window.

2. Double click on my computer.

3. Right click on the Drive the Studio CD is in, and choose explore.

4. In the window showing the content of the disk, go to edit>select all.

5. Select the Edit menu and choose Copy.

6. Create a folder on your desktop called Studio. Paste the contents of the CD to this folder.

7. Boot into Safe mode. To do this, shut down the computer. When you turn it back on, tap the F8 key continuously until a menu pops up. Choose safe mode.

8. Open the Studio folder you created on the desktop.

9. Open the Setup folder.

10. Double click the setup Icon and follow the on screen prompts. It will have you reboot, reboot normally."

Good luck!

Amahood.

Your explanation of studio Chugging away to open the project and taking 5-6 minutes sounds very familiar to me as this happened with my first project. Once it opened I would work for a few minutes then it would LOCK up, or I would get out of memory error, even though I had 1.5GB memory. I spent a week deleting and loading the app, patches, defragging, nothing helped.

Did you test the speed of your hard drive with Studio? How fast was it?

My problem was that the video I imported was stored to several files on my hard drive. I am not technical, but I believe the more video files that studio has to open to fill the timeline, the longer it will take to open and will be choppy in the preview playback until it catches up - and it eats up the memory. Of course - I probably do not have the fastest drive (USB2 100GB External) so I can't say Studio would not have done this given a different config.

I scrapped that 2st attempt, then imported the entire Video into Studio at one sitting....I believe Studio breaks it up into Maximum of 17 minutes or something. If my timeline gets out of hand I try to create an AVI file out of some of the pictures, etc and then import back into Studio. Some people seem to have no problem filling the timeline and rendering - so again, this is what worked for me but I probably have other issues. It worked like a charm after that, and knock on wood I have not Locked up on my last two projects.

If you don't want to redo the entire project.........when you open it are you able to delete some scenes? You may be able to pare the project down to a section of timeline you feel is edited decently, then Save as a different title. Open the project you just saved and make an AVI file out of it. Then open up your original and import the AVI file back into it. This should free up some resource for Studio.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast