Thread: Project settings for capturing from Sony video 8 TRV 48E PAL

Default Project settings for capturing from Sony video 8 TRV 48E PAL

Hello all, I wonder if you wouldn't mind helping! I have got Premiere 6.0 & photo shop 5.0 and and was just wondering what the best project settings was for me to select befor I start capturing in my stone age footage!. I no that it depends on what you want to do but all I need to do really is be able to end up with it as a DVD.

Secondly, what is the best capture device for me to get? I have seen the Dazzle ones which go in to a USB port or the ones which go in to the machine? ( i have one of these from my studio DC10+ but dosn't seem to be compatable with Premiere)

I want it to be the best quality it can be coming from analog.

Any assistance will be greatly app[s:2e2aa14ed6][/s:2e2aa14ed6]reciated.

Karl.

Hi Karl

Can I assume that your 8 TRV 48E PAL is an analogue camcorder, correct me if I'm wrong. In case it is you will only have composite video (220 - 230 lines resolution) out or maybe S-Video out (370 - 400 lines resolution). You will need some kind of analogue capture board that can either fit into the computers PCI slot or connect to a spare USB. You'll get reasonable quality (if it has S-Video) but nothing near DV captured on firewire.

Hi Nikosony.

Thank you for your help. I no a shop which converts analog tapes to DVD so I might just convert all my old footage over and capture in from DVD as apose to analog.

Would you advise this?
    Karl

I don't know what part of the world you're in Karl but Pinnacle have a reasonably cheap PCI capture card out now I think it's called the PCI 500 (someone correct me if this is wrong) and it has both analog video and digital video capture available on it. You have to capture analog video through your sound card. Check to see how much that 'company' you mention charge or maybe it might be cheaper to buy a DVD recorder from a store like Argos or Dixons if you live in GB.

Hi Nikosony

The shop I no off that convert the footage from analog to DVD charge 7.00 per tape and Like myself are based in London.

I may invest in an DVD/VHS recorder soon as some footage people are contributing are on VHS, or would I be better off with that PCI 5000?

So once I have this (DVD/VHS recorder) will I be able to capture from all three sources,
    VHS DVD & convert the analog in to DVD? If so would this loose quality as apose to just going to that shop?

Again, thanks for your help & sorry if Im asking stupid questions.
    Karl

Depending on your budget (and amount of old footage you will be transferring in the future) you may want to invest in a cheap digital 8 camera with the ability to play back your old recordings whilst having the DV output to transfer it without "loss" to your pc.
    Andy Holland
    www.andyholland.co.uk