Thread: Newbie question

Default Newbie question

That's right! I've delved into the realm of video editing, mastered the silky-smooth art of "wow that looks great..how did I do that?", wrestled with Premiere Pro, After Effects, Virtual Dub and Fraps. Now for the question I should have asked from the beginning.

My films look like crapola..well very nicely edited crapola.

Should I deinterlace my raw footage, my finished film, or both?

One note to add: I'm not taking footage from RL, Cam corder or DVD. I get all of my footage from video games (yes I'm a gamer nerd :P ) and pull the video using 'Fraps'. Will this make a difference if I deinterlace it vs. raw footage from a cam corder.

I understand the basics of interlacing/deinterlacing but I still haven't found any good info on the effects of digitally captured video over a computer. I'm using VirtualDub to deinterlace with the "deinterlace-smooth" plugin.

Please grant me your wisdom oh Wise and Bright-Eyed Ones.
    If I fail, the film industry writes me off as another statistic. If I succeed, they pay me a million bucks to fly out to Hollywood and fart.
    -George A. Romero

Blog Entries

Kyle, if you're using FRAPS, I assume your capturing direct from a PC game? Am I correct? If this is the case. you will be capturing progressive scan footage and you shouldn't have to de-interlace.

Could you post some of your video for us to see?

You're right I am taking right out of a game, but after editing and running it through DivX for compression I come out with this: Game Footage

This was the only good link I had (filefront). Just a quicky tutorial for fellow players, but you'll see what I mean, it becomes blended/soft/feathered. The raw footage is crystal clear in comparisson. I compress it because I usually have 900mb plus files and this brings them down quite a bit. Should I be compressing them differently?

P.S. DivX is the only way I know.
    If I fail, the film industry writes me off as another statistic. If I succeed, they pay me a million bucks to fly out to Hollywood and fart.
    -George A. Romero

Double post
    -George A. Romero