Thread: Show reel advice.

Blog Entries

Default Show reel advice.

I sold a small clip to the bbc the other day and the producer of the program asked for a show reel of my other stuff.

How long should it be, how should it be packaged? Is there an expected formula ?

I threw this together but at 10 mins or so I suspect it is far too long. The text bits are not done (what is expected) and needs some fades and stuff.

Feedback very much appreciated from people 'in the know'.

I dont want to do any more work untill I know I am heading in the right direction.

Ta.

http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/showreel.wmv

Blog Entries

I've seen quite a few showreels over the years (mainly for inspiration). What they all have in common is instant impact. They make you sit up from the very first second.

If you consider this to be the equivalent of a CV, then you need to impress someone that won't really be paying attention. When I've read CV's in the past, I've always accepted or rejected on first scans.

I watched your showreel with that in mind. I made it to the point where the music kicked in, but I'd already lost interest and switched off. This is where it should have started. Relentless, non stop, no pauses, no fades to black... just pure 100% entertainment. They don't want to know anything other than how talented you are.

Blog Entries

Right. Lucky I asked, well wide of the mark then. Will try to do something much more upbeat and 'edity'. I mistakenly thought b=unging a few clips together in a hour or so would do it.

Will try somethinhg a bit more creative.

Ta.

As you know I am a talentless oik- definitely not 'in the know' BUT I thought I 'd chuck an opinion in anyway!

Whenever any opportunity like this presents itself you don't want to f$%k it up, so I would spend every bloody hour I had getting something totally *@^%#ing awesome together.

There is no point putting anything at the front end- like name etc.

Jump straight in and keep their attention all the way through.

If they like it they will watch it 'til the end where your name will be.

Try to make it really interesting, as well as showing off technical skills that they will appreciate.

Avoid lengthy bits of other peoples work (this is supposed to be show casing stuff that you have made)

I made it to the drugs clips (around two minutes) before I tuned out. You need to keep them the whole way.

Sounds like a great opportunity, put more than an hour into it.

Blog Entries

Hmm, yes you are right, just being lazy and as you say there is only one chance and there aint no deadline so I will do something more intersting.

to give you an idea you can have a look at a quick one I did. My brother and I will be re-visiting this soon to update the content and sort out all the aspect ratio issues but it shows what can be done with limited time - this was done in 2 hours
    Irishmark's Quick Showreel

Blog Entries

Your Playstation DVD is fab.

Sorry dude - didn't see the link to your reel before. Just watched it.
    Firstly - Its waaaaaaaay to long. For editors/productiion companies it needs to be shorter than 3 mins in total. Producers dont have the patience to watch anymore and if you cant show them the goods in 3 mins u are wasting your time and their time.

Secondly, Dont split it up so much into sections. The whole thing should flow. Nothing needs to be referential to itslef. The reel itself will show your editing skills the content will show what variaty of stuff you have done. Keep it really snappy. If they like it they will ask about individual shows and what they wre and so on.

Thirdly, some of the content does not do you justice. It's a little weak and so has a negative effect on the whole piece. Every shot should be striking and impressive. If you aer gonna include content that is using lots of effects like the news broadcaster piece and the opening piece make sure they are the best bits and you only need a few seconds of each.

Remember a the porpouse of a showreel is to give a tatset of your skills and experience not a full on biography. Choose a good tune or 2 (no more than that though) and let the tune drive it. Interesting choices in music can always be a plus.

The main rule though is the first one. Keep it short. They'll turn it off otherwise and if they do that it has failed.

I know this is harsh but I've done reels loads of reels and I know what producers/directors wanna see.

If you want more detailed advice then msn me - i PM'd you my email.

Blog Entries

Thanks. More tomorrow, knackered after work. I kind of thought that was what I should have done.