Thread: Problem opening a DVD file

Default Problem opening a DVD file

I am a new user.
    Made a movie and recorded it on a DVD. Played fine on my DVD player.
    Now have put it back in the computer DVD drive and cannot get it to open.
    Thanks for any help.
    Albert

Blog Entries

Do commercial DVDs play fine on your PC?

Default Problem opening a DVD in Pinnacle Studio9

Dear Sir:
    Thanks for your reply.

Yes, commercial DVDs play fine. I tried one and opened it in Windows Media Player.
    Then I tried again the movie I made and find it will open in Windows Media Player.

However, when I open Pinnacle and try to open it, I get a message that the file could not be opened. It has the extension "VOB".
    Albert

Blog Entries

Probably because Studio doesn't support VOB/MPEG editing.

Default Problem opening a DVD

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your message. I have read the user manual and reviewed the "settings" box under Make Movie.

Is there a way I can burn a movie to a DVD and then open it and do further editing or use parts of it etc? If this cannot be done, I am concerned I will soon get my hard drive filled up.

Can you refer me to an article on this subject?

Thanks a lot.
    Albert

Default can only open captured avi, mpg or mp2 video files

Pinnacle Studio 9.4.3 only supports opening captured avi, mpg or mp2 video files from the Album interface.

The only way I know of you could do what you are asking with Pinnacle Studio 9.4.3 is to capture the video while the DVD is being played. Once you have the captured video content, you can then edit it as you like. Note that the DVD menus cannot be captured, you will have to build them yourself (this is known as DVD Authoring).

However, if you used a Pinnacle Studio project to burn your DVD, the project is still there after the burn is completed, so you can edit it any way you like, adding more content, or copying parts of it to another project if that is what you need to do. You don't need to capture the video content on the DVD you just burned if you want to use the same project for another DVD.

Default ALL TO NOTE

1. If you change JUST the file extension of the vob to mpg Pinnacle Studio 943 WILL OPEN IT. I have used this option and it works.
    2. The other option is to go to File / Import DVD Titles and that will import the VOB without changing the file extension.
    David

Default File / Import DVD Titles encoding

greenland46:

Thanks for the tips, I didn't know the workarounds for importing VOB files in Pinnacle Studio 9.4.3.

If you use File / Import DVD Titles, does it convert it to another encoding (a potential loss of quality) or keep it the same?

I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like you can import VOB files directly from a DVD.

I know that on a DVD there are multiple VOB files. Do you know why they split up the content in different VOB files? Is it a size limitation or something else?

Presumably to get all content (except menus of course) from a DVD into Pinnacle Studio 9.4.3 you would have to import all VOB files and concatenate them in a project to create a movie with the same content. An interesting experiment!

Yes, all your assumptions about vob import are correct. The easiest way is to import each of the movie titles, see my reply above and you don't have to bother about importing each vob separately. David

Default audio / codecs ?

As an experiment, I tried the Import DVD Titles on a DVD (checking off all the checkboxes on the title list) and it looked like it converted them all to individual .mpg files, however when I tried to load one of them into the album, it popped up my web browser to the Pinnacle web site to order some package of advanced codecs.

BTW, I also tried looking for an explanation of this feature in the Pinnacle Studio 9 documentation, but couldn't find it. Anyone know where the documentation for this feature is?

When attempting to play back the .mpg files using RealPlayer the video was fine but there was no audio.

So, which codec do I need for this or am I missing something else?

Thanks again for the help!