Thread: Help Please

Default Help Please

I wonder if it is possible to create/burn a DVD directly from a camcorder to a DVD RW on a laptop. I video trainees carrying out an exercise and to date give them a VHS video tape. I would like to give them a DVD but I do not want to carry a lot of kit around. So far my attempts with my PC require me to copy the DV to my hard drive and then burn the DVD which takes an age. Any ideas? Thanks
    Lnkpart

You have just described the standard procedure in video capture and producing a DVD. If you think it takes a long time to do that on a PC, then just wait to you see how long it will take on a laptop (see other postings on this site). Laptops (generally) aren't fast enough or powerful enough for video editing, it uses unbelievable amounts of system resources like memory, hard disk space and processor usage. And even when it comes to burning your DVD.....zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Default DVD and laptops

Many thanks for your reply - I thought that it might be problematic. What's inside a domestic DVD recorder which allows direct burn?

PS: Am I confusing editing with straight through burn. I do not need to edit the video?
    Lnkpart

It depends what state your video is in as to whether you need to edit it or not. Most people do edit their videos to a greater or lesser extent. For example, the shots where you left the lens cap on and you can hear yourself talking, they need to go. Also zooming in and out shots (tromboning), excessive panning (hosepiping) and out of focus shots all need to go. You are trying to emulate television and the movies and need really steady, in focus and well lit shots most of the time unless you're doing an 'arty' piece - in that case you can use handheld shots and mess about with the focus and lighting. What's inside a domestic DVD recorder - not an awful lot by the looks of it. A laser is used to burn pits into the surface of the disc - so whenever you hit record it starts burning whatever is coming in from the connections - composite, s-video, dv and the audio aswell and stops burning when you hit the stop button.

Default recording a DVD through a laptop

Again thanks for your reply. I can see that many people want to edit their videos, but for this application - a fixed camera recording an individual or group at table - I only need to capture them directly. So I want to emulate a domerstic DVD recorder but on a laptop. It means I have to carry a lot less kit around. Is there any software which does this wothout saving to laptop memory first - i.e. just direct burn? Grateful if you know of any.
    Lnkpart

Blog Entries

Your only option is to use a domestic DVD recorder with firewire input (common feature now) and burn after the session. You'll need to record on the camera and then transfer to DVD recorder as many times as you need copies. Basic 'editing' like pausing the recorder to remove parts is feasible but nothing more. And, you'll have to sit and wait in real time for multiple copies.

Cheaper than a laptop though.

Thanks once again.

Yes, I was coming to the same conclusion, except that I was hoping that it could be done otherwise. Cheaper than a laptop for sure - but you do need to take a monitor with you too, as most DVD recorders have a menu which can only be dispalyed on a monitor. So you see the amount of kit grows and a laptop would have been the perfect solution. Oh well - only need to buy a forklift truck now!!
    Lnkpart

Blog Entries

Or a MiniDVD camcorder.

Yes - been there too. Only records for 30 minutes. I need it for 1 hour.
    Lnkpart

Sony mini-dv camcorders with the DCR-HC## cams have a feature when you hook them up to anything sony that you can click burn to dvd and it will automatically capture, make a stylish menu out of some content from your movie, and bam, its done! and its all automated!
    Mac G5 workstation with 4 gigs of ram, 4x250 gig drives in raid 5. High availability cluster server running centos for a server. 2xCanon GL2 cameras.

TuscSports.com