Thread: Star Effect, continued...

Default Star Effect, continued...

Sorry to make a new thread, but I've taken a different direction, and thought it probably deserved it's own place. Hope that isn't a problem.

Using a jump cut, I suddenly appear out of nowhere behind an explosion of stars. As the stars scatter and fade off, I'm left sat on the chair. I've decided to make the stars as Gifs, and then put each star on its own layer and animate it using key frames. Here's a TEST screenshot, I hope to make the actual stars alot nicer when I come to do this in reality. This is just to see if i can get it looking good...

http://www.thedinghy.co.uk/test.jpg

I look a little ill/tierd, but nevermind hehehe.

Okay, so the questions:

1) You can see how I have been laying it out. Each star on its own layer. Is this the best way to do it, or can anyone think of a neater way? By the time I'm covered in stars, I'll have a good few layers...Is that normal?

2) How can I make each star blend in and then blend out? At the minute, they simply appear and then vanish.

3) Can anyone think of a different way to make stars? To have them 3D and spin as they scatter away from me would be nice...

Like I say, this is just a trial to see if the effect will work, and if it does I'll put more effort into the whole thing. And I've only been using AE a couple of hours...haha.

Thanks alot guys, give me as much input as you like/can!

kyle_forrester@hotmail.co.uk <-- If you'd rather help me in real time

Personally, I think you are going about this the wrong way.

Whereas adding a layer for each star will get you where you want, eventually, it will take you a month of Sundays to get there.

Given that (from your screenshot) you already have After Effects you should play with the partical system that's built in (Particle Playground?) and create your effect as a single layer and then mask it to your image or you should download the demo of Trapcode Particular and use that.

Or failing that, contact me personally via email or MSN and ask me very nicely and I'll generate you something out of Particle Illusion. You just want an explosion of stars right?

Yeah, I feel I'm going the wrong way, too

Could you point me in the direction of a tutorial, or write me something up quickly which would explain how to use the Particle Playground within AE? I know it's alot to ask, but I tried combining it with masks last night and just seemed to get nowhere...

With regards to you doing me something in Particle Illusion, thanks alot for the offer, but I really need to learn how to do it myself! However, would it be worth me trying to get hold of a copy of PI and making myself something on there instead of AE? Is it simple?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Forrester
    Yeah, I feel I'm going the wrong way, too

Could you point me in the direction of a tutorial, or write me something up quickly which would explain how to use the Particle Playground within AE? I know it's alot to ask, but I tried combining it with masks last night and just seemed to get nowhere...
    Sorry. But I've never used it so I have as much idea as you. I have little doubt though that with a little semi-intelligent seraching on google you can come up with more tutorials on AE and particle engines than you'll ever have time to read.

I know its not what you were asking but you should use a bit better lighting so it makes the stars look evenly lite.

Hi Kyle

Instead of you appearing using a Jump Cut, split the scene into two and put the 'empty' scene above the scene where you appear and use a dissolve effect to make you appear more gradually. It's a case of dissolving one scene out and dissolving another scene in.