Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Premiere: Audio Sync problems when moving video to timeline

Default Premiere: Audio Sync problems when moving video to timeline

I have about an hour of video that I've divided into 10 parts. Each of the parts are mpeg files that I import into Premiere Pro for editing. When I take these mpegs and drop them onto the timeline, the audio and video lose sync. The audio might be perfect for the first few minutes, then become unsynced half way through and remain unsynced for the rest of the video.

The original mpeg files have perfectly synced audio. When I preview the original mpegs in Premiere they are still synced. It is only when they are placed on the timeline that they lose sync. I thought that this might only be an apparent error (due, perhaps, to my system being slow when playing the long timeline), but rendering an unedited timeline creates an unsynced video. Normally, I would simply unlink the audio and video to correct this, but the first few minutes are synced perfectly. Unlinking and moving the audio, obviously, would then leave the first several minutes unsynced.

Any ideas? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Premier doesn't like mpeg files, stick with using .avi and .mov and you won't have any problems with audio not being in synch with video. Keep mpeg for when you burn your masterpiece onto dvd.

Nikosony - That makes sense. I'll bet that transposing those files to .avi will solve my problem. Thanks again!

Default Re: Premiere: Audio Sync problems when moving video to timel

Quote Originally Posted by guitarfaces
    I have about an hour of video that I've divided into 10 parts. Each of the parts are mpeg files that I import into Premiere Pro for editing. When I take these mpegs and drop them onto the timeline, the audio and video lose sync. The audio might be perfect for the first few minutes, then become unsynced half way through and remain unsynced for the rest of the video.

The original mpeg files have perfectly synced audio. When I preview the original mpegs in Premiere they are still synced. It is only when they are placed on the timeline that they lose sync. I thought that this might only be an apparent error (due, perhaps, to my system being slow when playing the long timeline), but rendering an unedited timeline creates an unsynced video. Normally, I would simply unlink the audio and video to correct this, but the first few minutes are synced perfectly. Unlinking and moving the audio, obviously, would then leave the first several minutes unsynced.

I had the same problem. However, I wish to differ with the other guys. The syncying problem is not with MPEG it occurs in all formats. The problem is if the original audio had a bump, cut or any disturbance any other new layer you try to sync will lose sync start from the point where there is a problem in the original audio. Remember this problem could be any of bump, cut. Solution, play you original or audio you are trying to sync and check to make sure there is no bump, cut or anything that cuts continuance of your song or audio.

If other than this you naturally have problems with editing MPEG natively use one of MainConcept products : http://www.mainconcept.com/index_flash.shtml. I hope this helps.

Default Re: Premiere: Audio Sync problems when moving video to timel

Quote Originally Posted by ogl
    I had the same problem. However, I wish to differ with the other guys. The syncying problem is not with MPEG it occurs in all formats. The problem is if the original audio had a bump, cut or any disturbance any other new layer you try to sync will lose sync start from the point where there is a problem in the original audio. Remember this problem could be any of bump, cut. Solution, play you original or audio you are trying to sync and check to make sure there is no bump, cut or anything that cuts continuance of your song or audio.

If other than this you naturally have problems with editing MPEG natively use one of MainConcept products : http://www.mainconcept.com/index_flash.shtml. I hope this helps.
    *cough*PLUG*cough*

OGL - I know you probably only posted that in there to plug MainConcept, but you're a bit misleading by suggesting that, because MPEG files *do* have issues in Adobe Premiere.

I know that some programs have problems with video files where the audio is encoded with a varible bit rate, Dont know if this is true with Premier Pro though. To me it sounds like the audio is varible bit rate instead of constant.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarfaces View Post

I'm having a similar problem, and I have found multiple forums of others with same questions. I don't think the video file format matters. Has anyone found a solution to this problem???

Paulears, Thanks so much for the prompt response!

I cut the clip up a little bit like you said, and I separated the audio and video, selected both, then right clicked to select re-sync. ...then I couldn't tell any difference at all. Is this the correct manner in re-syncing the clip?

Paulears, Thanks again for your input.

I think my problem is beyond just cutting and manually bumping the clips back in sync. Half-way through my clip (and just after a dropped frame in the video), my audio actually restarts to the beginning of the track again, as the video continues to the end. ...the same audio still ends at the same spot where the video does, but the audio from the last half of the clip does not exist on the time-line, so it is impossible to bump it back into sync.

Again, the video and audio play all the way through fine in media player or other viewer outside of Premiere.

I am currently in the process of converting all mpeg to avi files in windows movie maker then importing them back into premiere. While this fixes my problem, I am basically having to start my project all over from scratch . I'm beginning to lose my faith in Adobe Premiere...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast