Thread: Rendering in Vegas

Default Rendering in Vegas

After about a year on working on a documentary I made, It's finally done. However it's a 1 and a half hour movie with a lot of video effects and scenes, so my question is to avoid rendering more then once which could take me weeks, what are the best settings in which to render?

I am using Vegas 5 and DVDA 2 and trying to get the best film look

Some things to take into account:
    -Will be put together in DVDA
    -Best settings on computer itself to avoid locking or freezing
    -Tips of the Trade, as this will be my first finished project
    -Which template to use in vegas 5
    -Custom template setting you recommend

Thanks for any help, you have already helped me in the past year and I really appreciate it.

project properties:
    720x480
    Frame rate: 24 fps
    Pixel Aspect ratio: (ntsc dv widescreen)
    field order: lower feild first ?
    Full-res rendering quality: good
    motion blur: gaussian?
    deinterlace: blend fields?
    Master bus mode: 5.1
    number of stereo buses: 0?
    Hz: 44,100
    bit depth: 16
    resample quality: best
    low pass filter: enabled
    LPF Hz:120 dolby/film
    LPF quality: good

Blog Entries

Render it in seperate chunks, into uncompressed format (might need some more drives !) and then render the chunks together.

Blog Entries

Interesting work flow. For what it's worth, I render all the effects on my timeline first in my NLE (essentially so that all the effects play in realtime without the need for additional hardware acceleration). Then I export to DV AVI without recompression.

I take that DV AVI file and run it through either TMPGenc Xpress or Procoder Express (depending on what computer I'm running it on). I always use two pass variable bitrate at around 7,000 for less than an hour, then crank this down when above. I normally use PCM audio unless I need the space for video - don't see any benefit to other formats given my usual source format.

My computer just sits there while it encodes, with no other tasks running.

Blog Entries

Personally, I would render as one piece. Leave it overnight to do the job. For DVD render the audio as AC3 5.1 DVD preset and the video DVDA widescreen video stream. You can then import directly into DVDA and burn away. Just mark the beginning and end so the video and audio are equal length. Chapter positions can be set in DVDA.

Default thanks

thanks for the help, when you say mark the beginning and ends so the audio and video match up, what do you mean? do you mean using markers or am i missing something? also concerning rendering effects on NLE, can you explain that a little better. For the most part I've found vegas easy to use looking at the help files and so forth, but now rendering is irritating me, I just don't want to spend days rerendering this project.

Blog Entries

Yes, I use a marker at the front and end of the project and render between them, just to make sure the sound and video are exactly the same length. I should have said by the way, render video as MPEG2, and select DVD Architect PAL Widescreen Video Stream.
    Rendering is a bit of a pain but no worse than any other system really. Time is all it costs and as I say, just leave your machine running overnight and forget about it. Close all other apps and just let the PC focus on the job in hand. Another small tip is to close the video preview window, it might be in my mind, but doing that on mine seems to speed up the render process. I can normally render a 90 minute show with twelve plus timelines, effects etc etc overnight. Last night I rendered a 60min AC3 file with 18 layers of sound with all sorts of EQs, Compressors, volume changes and 5.1 position keyframes in 37 minutes. Sound is much, much quicker.

Blog Entries

' render effects in NLE' , ahhh, I think i have taught myself a daft way to render big projects. I guess I just taught myself one way by trail and error and n3ever really explored better alternatives.

In vegas i presume 'render to new track' would do it. I can see this avoids codec generattion loss (presumably) yet lets you render as you go. Will try it.

So I rendered my project, video only. it looks great but here's the problem; when I send it to DVDA it exceeds the DVD disc space. I rendered the hour and a half film at these settings:

Mpeg2
    24Fps
    variable bit rate
    two pass
    video at 31- high

I don't get it my computer tells me the file equals:
    3.83 GB (4,112,570,368 bytes)

but in DVDA it says it's 5,925 MB

help me out I'm stuck and I also still need room for the ac3 files and subtitles, can someone help me!

Rendering took 2 and a half days by the way. crazy!

Default help anyone

help anyone? I looked at other post before rendering and chose those options I thought would do the trick, any suggestions? I'm stumped