Thread: archive footage????

Default archive footage????

hi

im wanting to get hold of some archive footage of a number of famous people (blair/bush/saddam/hittler/princess di/ian huntley/fred west/the pope etc etc)..i need it for a project im doing at university, and i dont really want to pay loads of money for the footage... because i am a student and am not using it for promotion - will i still have to pay a silly amount of money?? any1 got any advise on how to get decent quality footage without paying loads???

cheers
    dave

Blog Entries

Sounds like an interesting vid. Sniff about on the net and you will probably find some stuff but qualkity may not be good, but hey it's free.

The BBC news site has lots of archived news video but I will be darned if I can find a utility to capture thier streams for editing, believe it or not I have actuially reasorted to filming the screen as the vid plays....

Try yahoo video search too.

The prelinger archive has all sorts of stuff, I love the site.

^^ cheers mate - thing is, i really cant resort to getting low quality footage. im making a short film and it counts for 50% of my degree - so everything must look professinal..

Record from TV onto VHS and then transfer it onto PC if you have the facilities at your uni. I'm sure you can find alot of decent footage if you crawl around Sky recording random shows...At least this way it'd be pretty much broadcast quality.

Edit: If you can't transfer from VHS, you can, like mentioned earlier, get some suprisingly good results from setting up the camera in front of the TV and recording straight to Mini DV, as long as you take into consideration the shutter speeds...

Give it a go, good luck!

You're in Derby, eh? Don't suppose you're based in Green Lane...? Anywayz, I'm not sure if they have recent archive footage, but you could give Archive.org a go...at the very least they have tons of ace old news footage and movies, etc.
    industrial noise shakes hands with horrendous glitching

Quote Originally Posted by cARdbOaRD DEaD bOY
    You're in Derby, eh? Don't suppose you're based in Green Lane...? Anywayz, I'm not sure if they have recent archive footage, but you could give Archive.org a go...at the very least they have tons of ace old news footage and movies, etc.

- i used to be at green lane quite alot but now im mostly at kedeslton... r u a student in derby?