Thread: Voxpops

Blog Entries

Default Voxpops

I think this is my fav sort of film making.

I go out with a rough idea and get some vox pops, then I look at the results and try to creatively edit it into something interesting, entertaining and thought provoking.

I suppose you might call them 'voxpopmockupreachomentaries'.

Do they work, are they interesting?

I think the second is perhaps too long.

Election Vox Pop 7 mins
    http://www.zaskarfilms.com/filmPages/electionvppage.htm

Drugs Vox Pop 15 mins
    http://www.zaskarfilms.com/filmPages/DRUGSVPlpage.htm

Feedback much appreciated.

I have a bug on my website sometimes, if the films wont play after 30s then refreash page to fix.

Blog Entries

As for the first, I just didn't get the Good Bad and Ugly reference at all. The music distracted me from the interviews and just didn't seem relevant at all. As for the titles....why do that? You are obviously a talented filmaker (BMX was great) but you chose to use something so old and to be honest, poor. I'm sure you could have originated something better and more relevant yourself. It reminded me of all the hundreds of people that think they can improve on the Star Wars titles, but never manage it.
    Sorry, I haven't watched the second but will perhaps have a look next week.

Harsh opinion, sorry, but it's only an opinion.

Blog Entries

Just seen the drugs one and I thought it's far more watchable. No daft music thank goodness! Great opening shot, thought provoking closing scene. Good use of the black and white cut-aways. I pissed myself at the guy that said burglary should be legalised, but murdering kids was bad. Priceless. You're right, it is a fair bit too long though.

Blog Entries

Thanks, the first was edited in a frenzy, did it all in 6 hours I think. The stupid titles are just that, stupid, done in a hurry and really meant in an ironic way. The election is so pompous I wanted to poke fun at it a bit. The good the bad and the ugly refers in a very loose way to the the other parties and the BNP. Clearly too bizarre and personal an edit to actually work. No worries about the harsh comments, I value those more than gushing praise alone.

The second is one of my favs. The opening closing shot is 1.5 hours over bristol at sunset massively speeded up. I will shoot this again when i am bored and the sky is more interesting. I tried to make it shorter but i just loved all the vox poppery, especially our confused friend... my talent was very good in picking up on this. The shot at the end i filmed at the end of my road and is sadly all too real. The quality is poor as I had the camera under my arm walking along so it has been ' eshaken' in v dub and has lots of cropping in the editor. I have got some hassle from a few women after a cinema screening cos of the last shot.

Cheers.

Well...The bystanders must have thought they were on TV!!! i would have told them to f off!

Blog Entries

Ha, yes, I purchased my main camera, the sony vx9000e to help me spoof the real media. It is the cheapest shoulder mount camera around. If I go out with a mic attatched and a 'producer' with a clip board people always think they are on the telly. This helps enourmously with access at events and flatters the public to perform. When asked I never lie, I always say i am an independant journo and just making stuff for my own website.

Once or twice when covering demos I have also sold short clips to the BBC. The type of camera you use really has an impact on your film making oppertunities. The big camera and the pro look on demos that are 'contraversial' also means you get less hassle from the police who are becoming more and more likely to confiscate tapes / cameras from people.