Thread: Frame rate choppiness after deinterlacing

Default Frame rate choppiness after deinterlacing

I captured to DV-AVI and it is heavily interlaced when viewing on PC (as expected). When previewing through software such as WMM and Nero ShotTime, however, the playback appears progressive (so I asssume deinterlacing is done in realtime), but the framerate appears just as I would expect. After encoding and deinterlacing however, playback is just not up to standard - it is choppy and seems more like a slideshow. On pause, the image looks as though two frames were mixed together.

Is there any way to emulate the far superior playback of DV-AVI through WMM and Nero after encoding. Resultant file size not too important. I would like the video to be progressive, though.

I have already tried encoding through VirtualDub and WMM.
    Many thanks,
    Justin

Blog Entries

May be a player problem. If i get a choppy look I always check my cpu use, if it is 100% then that may be the probelm.

No, checked that. My computer (HDD and processor, RAM) is handling the video very well, not even breaking sweat. It's the actual video itself...

I think the proof is that when I pause I see an image that seems like two separate frames in one. For example, a running man would appear as two running men in a paused frame. This is not the case in the DV AVI preview.

Motion is not done well at all in the encoded progressive format. Would this be a result of deinterlacing or compression? I have used a multiude of high quality settings to encode - no change.

Blog Entries

Compress to WMV using windows media encoder (or software of your choice) and post here for us to see.

Default Fixed one issue

Ok I fixed 1 issue, the problem of the "smudge" - I changed deinterlace (in virtualdub) off the setting "blend" - I think it is a very stupid method. Sure the resolution doesn't suffer, but I hate the blurred frame when paused... I feel so stupid, this should have been obvious to me.

I still haven't got the motion to look as smooth as it does on the WMM preview, however. Does anyone know the inner workings of whatever filter is used to show the preview? It looks amazing and plays so smooth. I also noticed that if I play a video in WMP at the same time, the preview in WMM appears interlaced again so it is definitely some sort of filter or something that is shared between the two...

The motion is still "choppy", which I assumed was because of the "effective" halving of the frame rate, but when I tried to convert the clip to 50fps, there was still no difference. Somehow I have to get the deinterlacer and the compressor to work together to convert each field into a separate frame... Any ideas?

One last thing; I can't seem to change the method of deinterlacing in WMM - it seems to only be able to use blend. Same with Media Encoder. Any way I can change this?

PS: File will be uploaded to Yahoo! Briefcase shortly. Will post link soon.
    Justin

Default Ghosting

That problem I "solved" is called ghosting... Sorry I didn't associate the term until now.

What is a good place to host the file? Sorry, haven't done that before?