Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Here

Default New Here

Hey guys I just thought I would introduce myself. I just opened up my buisness www.459productions.com. U se Sony Vegas 5.0 and I was just curious what you guys use because I seem really limited using Vegas any suggestions? Thanks and great form guys! Kyle

Heres my latest video:
    www.459productions.com/videos/schoolnight.wmv

Blog Entries

Hi Kyle

Some things for you to think about:

There were a few shaky shots that I would have left on the cutting room floor (mainly close up shots). I would also suggest you keep most of the ambient sounds, or at least add some. You don't have tto use the original sound linked to the video, but I think you really do need the sound of engine revs and a crowd screaming to add to the atmosphere.

You also heavily used crossfades. I'm not sure this works on a high energy video. It also finished rather appruptly - perhaps it would have been nice to have finished with someone waving a flag (as your start)?

Finally, your captions were too close to the edge of the picture and would certainly be cropped off on a TV.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board!

Hey, for once I actually disagree with Marc. I thought the long slow fades worked really well, especially since you did move to some fast cuts in the middle. I do agree about the shaky shots, the captions and the sounds though. Overall I think it's pretty good. Motorbikes are not my thing at all, but it kept my attention for the whole duration. For the ending I would think the winners podium and trophy giving would be more appropriate?

One other thing. For a split second (at about the 3 min point) you used a Lens reflection effect. The shot was moving but the effect didn't. The effect jumped out at me because of that. If you go to the timeline of the effect you can make the it move across the screen as it would in reality.

Keep it up though, great effort I say.

Blog Entries

I enjoyed watching it but got a teeny bit bored. Some of it felt a bit repetitive.

I am no expert just an obessed self taught amateur but I would have put in more of a story telling feel to the video, beginning - middle - end. I try to do this with all my work, even individual shots.

I agree about the use of the sound from the event, put some in I suggest.

I think the contrast between fades and cuts is ok but for me there should have been less fades and more hard cuts to give more 'energy'. I would have cut tighter to the music in places with a much more agressive feel, much shorter cuts. You do this in a few places but I would have done it more.

Effects. Maybe this is just me but I would have used some strong effects much more heavily in places. Maybe some radial blurr, much higher contrast on the b/w, a moe styalised pop video feel maybe.

Some on bike shots would have been good, but clearly dangerous for the camera. I have a few 'value' s/hand dv cameras that I considor expendable that I sometimes use for things like this.

Having said all that I think it was great video, great choice of music, sooo important to get right and captured the feel of the event well.

One last thought, maybe more shots of the riders to add a bit more human interst and perhaps a few soundbites from the brave riders too....

If I had made this I would be very proud of the result and if it is a commercial product I think it is acceptable.

Blog Entries

I found this vid I was asked to do for pilot for a tv show. It isnt the same thing at all but it shows what I mean about the heavy use of effects. The footage I shot was not ideal, I just grabbed it on the off chance it could be usefull. Tony only did one trick, 5 mins of footage. The noise effect is spoiled here by the compression.

http://www.zaskarfilms.com/filmPages/bmxpage.htm

Welcome 459Productions

Blog Entries

Pretty neat Mark. I loved the effects although personally I thought they needed something to counterpoint the surreal monochrome look. Some full, high intensity colour stuff would have worked well occasionally, or perhaps the sky alone in a deep blue? Speed changes are good, hate, hate, hate the music (but I'm an old fart) The red frame is very well done indeed. How did you achieve that?

Top stuff though.

Blog Entries

Thanks.

The frame acually was red, so I keyed on to the red so only the red appeared, then after the editing of the clips to the music I rendered the project with the keying (inverse keying if you like) so I had a movie of just the red frame moving about.

I then imported that back into the project and put it on four times on four different tracks each .1 secs or so behind the other. This time the key on each track on the made everything but the red frame dissappear. I added some glow too and pushed up the reds on the frame tracks.

It took an age to render, 10 hours I think.

There was hardly any red in the rest of the scene but the red that got through the keying I removed with the cookie cutter frame by frame.

Like the idea about the sky. It was a blue sky day so I could have done it with another key.

The music is not to my taste either, I picked it cos it sounded 'extreme sports'.

The people I was doing it for loved it and put it in the pilot, but like all my work for other people I didnt get paid as they made the pilot on no money. I also shot most of thier pilot last year again for no money. I would have been paid if they sold the series.... but that was a naive hope.

Advice to me and everyone, if you are good enough for people to ask you to do stuff then you are good enough to be paid.

Blog Entries

Much better than the scripted stuff.

Excellent job Kyle.

Only one criticism...With the music fading out at the end and everyone still riding it is as if they are all still riding.

A shot of everyone packing up (ready for school?) would have been good.

Or maybe crossfade to an empty arena as the music subsides.

Great piece. How long did it take to do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast