Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed on camera repair.

Blog Entries

Default Advice needed on camera repair.

Basically am I getting ripped off?

The Fwire port on my sony vx9000e stopped working. I took it to a camera shop to get fixed, I specifically said ONLY fix the port. I wait 1 month (not 2 weeks as promised) for an estimate, 180 quid they say, I say ok do the work.

I phone 2 weeks later to ask if it is done as promised. NO the guy says the company mending it say it will cost 600 ! They say they also have to do a tonne of other work BECAUSE they are replacing the fwire board.

This includes all sorts of things like 'recalibration' and resetting the exposure ? ? ? They also said the transport needs 'realigning'. It was working fine apart from the fwire port. I ONLY asked for the f wire port to be fixed.

This sounds like complete crap to me.

What do people think?

I have paid a non returnable 120 quid deposit and I feel like they are trying to rip me off. I think they are duty bound to do the work for the cost of the first estimate.... ? ? ? ? I just dont believe what they are saying about 'recalibration'. I think they are going to keep my 120 if I say no to this extra work and cost.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

For less than 600, you can just buy a replacement...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-DCR-VX900...QQcmdZViewItem

I get no satisfaction to say that I've been in your shoes!

Others on this site think its ok that we all get fleeced on sony repairs.

I have no choice but to stay with sony as my underwater housings cost 3/4 times compared to a camera! I've got one in for repair right now ....15 for a look but SONY wanted 160 before quoting a repair cost!!!!!!!

Hard to swallow eh? .....I'm gradually looking at their competitors models(JVC,pana,etc) instead......but then I'll be stuck with umpteen useless uw housings.

Lifes a bitch but my sympathy is with you
    If you don't stand for something....you'll fall for anything!

I don't know how things work in the UK so what I'm saying might not be worth the bits it took to form the characters on your screen, but...

I'd say you are being fleeced.

Here, if a company makes a quote, they either return it repaired at that price, or they get prior signed approval from the customer before proceeding with any heretofore unknown needed repairs. Sometimes there are unforseen things wrong with your unit. And if they know, and/or should know that there is a 'ton of extra work' to be done if one piece is replaced, then they are bound to provide that information and or quote a proper price upfront.

Secondly, if you give your unit to a company for repairs, then they just send it to another place to do the repair, then you are going to the wrong shop. They are just middlemen who are tacking on their profit to your bill for simply sending your unit elsewhere. I personally take my units to a manufacturers outlet. If it doesn't have a big red official 'Canon' neon sign on the building, my cameras don't enter. If there is no official big blue neon 'Sony' sign on the front of the building, no way is my TV going to be carried in there. (etc etc...). If there is no manufacturers building close - I will pack it well and send it to one.

'recalibration' and 'realigning' are usually equivilent to a 'visual inspection' of your car. Just something to suck some money out of you. Not to say that it doesn't have to be done to some units - but this would be obviously known by the repair depot in advance, and should have been explained to you up front. You should be fully able to 'decline' the 'extra' repairs. Unfortunatly if they are truly unscrupulous characters, they will 'misalign' or 'uncalibrate' your unit as a sick joke, and to make you bring it back for more repairs.

If the repairs are going to cost as much as a replacement then you should definatly get a new one and not bother to fix the old one.

I think you are indeed being fleeced and your statement...

I have paid a non returnable 120 quid deposit and I feel like they are trying to rip me off. I think they are duty bound to do the work for the cost of the first estimate.... ? ? ? ? I just dont believe what they are saying about 'recalibration'. I think they are going to keep my 120 if I say no to this extra work and cost.
    ...is totally correct.

If these people are 'authorized' dealers for your make/model of unit then you might consider threatening them with an 'angry consumer complaint letter' to the manufacturers head office, threatening their status as an 'authorized' dealer. Its a semi-bluff really but it might produce some results.

I feel your pain, we have all been there

good luck
    My System Specs:

Cameras: 2 x Canon XL1s
    Computer: Dual Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz processors (hyperthreaded) - Intel SE7505VB2 mother board - 2 Gb PC2100 RAM kingston -Adaptec FireConnect 4300 -2xseagate 10K scsi hdd 150G ea -2xseagate 7200 ide hdd 200G ea - Plextor PX-708A DVD burner - ATi Raedon 9800Pro video with Dual SUN 21\" monitors - Sound Blaster Platinum live!
    Software: Windows XP Pro with SP2 - Pyro Pro (adobe\'s premier pro, encore DVD, and audition bundle)

Blog Entries

Hi Zaskar.

Was the original quote in writing? If it was, you're in luck. If not, you're going to struggle like hell.

Blog Entries

Thanks everyone for the replies, I will go into the shop today and 'discuss' the situation.

I am aware the cost of the repair is what the cam is worth but I really do think they are fleecing me. The camera was working fine except for the dv port and that is all i wanted fixed.

FFS it is probably a job I could do myself if I had the FW port daughter board. GRRR

I will let you know how things proceeed.

On a brighter note, this may give me an excuse to borrow some cash and buy that pro cmaera sd bargain. DSR300 hmmmm, 570 oerrrrr.......

Blog Entries

Had a chat with the guy in the shop and he got on the phone to the repaierers. The guy in the shop is a decent bloke and assures me this repair company are safe. It appears the f wire board is cracked and a new one is 380 from sony, this makes me feel less ripped off and more philosophical about the whole thing. It looks like it is sony who are the problem with their stupid prices for parts.

Still thinknig what to do. I might just buy another vx9000e, then I can use that to capture from as the other camera works ok, and I get another camera free in effect !

Having had several Sony laptops in our workshop for repair - i can vouch for the stranglehold that Sony have on spare parts for their equipment. With the exception of Hard Drives and RAM, spares for Sony Vaio notebooks are as good as impossible to get hold of from anyone other than Sony, at a ludicrously inflated price.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar
    I might just buy another vx9000e, then I can use that to capture from as the other camera works ok, and I get another camera free in effect !
    Sounds like the thing to do. Not quite free though.....
    How the hell did the board get cracked though? Maybe when they were extracting it?

Blog Entries

Hmm, how did it break? Stupididy and clumsiness on my part I am afraid. I usually put my camera on the floor when capturing, reasoning that I wont knock it off my desk, well insted of that i tripped over the f wire cable DOH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast