Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Tried Edius 3? WOW!!!

Default Has Anyone Tried Edius 3? WOW!!!

My buddy got Edius 3 on his machine the other day. It was the first time I saw it and I'm amazed. On a system a bit slower than mine (below) we took DV (720x480) captured from Premiere and loaded 2 video tracks in and then started adding effects. We did color correction, old movie, and even blur in REAL TIME! It never even had to render and very little CPU usage. The strain on the system was comparable to a web browser being opened. You could scrub the timeline with the effects and it didn't break a sweat. I may have to look into this app more. I'm going to let him work with it awhile and get his review.
    Just wondered if anyone else had this experience.
    www.disciplinedbreakdown.com

AMD64 3000+
    ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
    1.5GB Corsair RAM
    ATI 9800 Pro 256MB
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platium
    2 - 36GB 10,000 RPM Raptor\'s Raid 0 (for OS)
    2+TB Data Storage (including network)

Software - Yup

How much does it cost? I'm looking for a good movie editing software
    *FIRST POST*
    If you love making movies and you know it raise your hands!

3. Default

Yea, edius is great, isn't it? It's not incredibly powerful, but it's sooo easy, and fast, and if you play with it a bit it you can make it more powerful than it seems. For example, try using the same filter in the blend filters thing, but have it set to different intensities and turn the keyframing on. Voila, dynamic blur! Or there's a multitude of things you can do with creative regional effect and layout functions ...
    \"He\'s not as tough as he thinks he is!
    Neither are we.\" - The Sting

I installed the trial version two weeks ago, then left on vacation and now I'm back. Definitely will try it out.

Blog Entries

Wondered where you'd been!

I have been editing with Edius pro x for about 2 years.

Unfortunately without getting on a soap box it would be hard for me to discribe just how good it can be.

I use it with hardware support from a DVX card(which is actually cheaper than just the software, 350 card and app, I believe it is still called storm in the US) this gives me full frame DV output and the filters can be stacked up and still playback. There are frame buffer settings that help realtime playback so even in software mode you get true realtime from the timeline and can add several layers and filters before it coughs.

It's not incredibly powerful
    I disagree completely, How is it not powerful?

but it's sooo easy, and fast
    I completely agree. Has never missed a beat, I don't get crashes, even with timelines up to 3hrs long.

When I was using Premiere/Ppro it would take an age to do some fairly complex projects, it would crash or I had to render all the time because I think it is widely agreed that premiere is full of features and filters, but really struggles with much more than wedding videos and promos.

It's not all good news no ac3 support, no multi sequence support and i believe vst instrument plugins can cause problems, but I don't use them so haven't experienced this myself, and this is not unusual in most apps.

I have a full set of setup videos, downloaded from the canopus site that I will upload and post a link.

Sorry if I started to ramble(MUST STOP NOW, and relax)

Cheers.

That was lucky they are still on the canopus site, saves me a 289meg upload, although I know you guys are worth it.

http://www.canopus.com/support/tutorials/EDIUS.php

They are available in sections or as 1 big file, if you have never seen this software before it is a very useful guide to setting up the software before you start.

There is 1 setting that I absolutely disagree with in the video and that is the

Extend clips when applying transistion/crossfade

This should stay checked, because in my experience it can cause audio sync problems if you are not absolutely frame accurate with the trimming of the clip.

Enjoy :P

And the last I promise.

http://www.kidspc.bits-uk.com/videos/NoLimitsRTV(Broadband).wmv

cheers

What program can you do this "HD Canopus" intro with? That's completely 3d-looking, so does that mean you have to use something like Maya or LightWave? or is the 3d simulation in Edius (or Premiere, etc) good enough to do this?

By the way, I'm starting to churn through tutorials, so my annoying questions (like above) where I show no grasp on what these programs are able to do should start fading away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast