Thread: First effort in Premiere Pro

Default First effort in Premiere Pro

Hi folks.

This is almost finished. Thought I'd post here so you could pass judgement! Don't hold back

Apart from audio problems (which I am working on) any comments?

http://www.marksparaglidingpages.com/Video/camping.wmv
    EDIT: THIS IS NOW THE UPDATED VERSION
    Oh yeah its a home movie camping trip

Blog Entries

I think it's pretty good. Apart from the fire/night/blurry 2 second bit it was really nicely put together. Good cutaways too. The tent scene is very well done. In honesty, the only bit I would change is the intro. I would ditch the canoe (it's there at the end anyway) and maybe introduce some arrival footage, or local roadsigns showing where you were.

Really good effort though.

If we view this as a 'home video' then it is clearly excellent.
    Applying higher critical standards, as one might to a commercial piece with higher repoduction values then I would make a few observations.

1. Filming
    There is some nasty windnoise, get a sock for your mic or cut the bass in the editor on that bit of s/track.

Some of the 'pretty' shots are excellent, well composed and shot with the camera on a t/pod, essential.

Absence of in shot zooming a relief and a common mistake, unless you want that youth tv effect.

Sound is poor, camera mic was it, a short shot gun mic makes the sound much better, can be had for as little as 100 quid, or lots more!

2. Editing.

Speeded up bit too long and maybe too slow, but love the benny hill music, I often use it in similar circumstances, see http://www.zaskarfilms.com/filmPages/greatshagrpage.htm

Has a nice flow to it.

What about more music?

Titles? When where and who maybe.

Maybe some to camera stuff on peoples thoughts about the trip, add human interest.

Glad you dont use too many ridiculous fades, they look cheap.

Voiceovers can sound 'cheap' if not done very carefully, acoustic is a bit 'roomy' and maybe spoken a bit fast and could do with more feeling.

Sunset shot with cut to person sitting nice, but maybe sitting bloke framed too far right??

Are you a stills photographer first and foremost? You appear to have used the camera in that way in parts very well, that is why I ask.

Weekends away can be used to make a daft drama, I did this on such a trip, http://www.zaskarfilms.com/filmpages/zombiepage.htm . Techinaccly quite rubbish as all i had was a bunch of crazy kids and a very basic camera that was crap in low light.

Here also for your perusal is a 'pretty' film i made with 20 mins of footage shot at a pretty village near where I live, I did not have my tripod unfortunately, was just passing thru in the car. http://www.zaskarfilms.com/filmPages/badmintonpage.htm

Note: If films off my site dont play after 30s, fefreash the page, there is a bug I am still fixing.
    Thanks for the exhaustive critique.

I really appreciate the time you took to write it.

RE-EDIT COMPLETE:

I have re-edted the intro, removing the canoe and adding titles
    Reduced the length of the speeded up sequence
    Removed the shakey firelight footage
    Added music at the end
    Finished with closing credit

The sound I am stuck with....

in camera microphone

THANKS

Blog Entries

Will check out the redit tomorrow, knackered from wk. I didnt realise it was your first edit, that makes some of my criticism sound harsh and means that you really have 'got the knack'. Good stuff.

More tomorrow. I am flattered you took my advice to heart, are you happier with the result now? I should pint out I am not a 'pro' and am totally self taught so please dont think i am an expert.

I really liked the clip. It looks like you had a good time and you got a good mixture of different clips and sequences to show it. (Loved the tent section). I'm really not on a level to critique anyone, but I do have a comment/question for everyone that does applies to a part of this clip. (wood chopping section)
    I'm doing a project similar to this with old footage of family vacations and as I watched the captured video for editing ideas, I realized that while I was filming, I talked while filming and it is rather annoying. Then I realized there's just something about the camera man talking that just "cheapens" it up. Am I alone or does anyone else feel this too?
    Just wondering.

Can't wait to see your next project
    www.disciplinedbreakdown.com

AMD64 3000+
    ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
    1.5GB Corsair RAM
    ATI 9800 Pro 256MB
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platium
    2 - 36GB 10,000 RPM Raptor\'s Raid 0 (for OS)
    2+TB Data Storage (including network)

Software - Yup

You're absolutely right.

I can't seem to stop myself doing it though!

Once I had the footage I tried to change the audio to something else, but it wasn't working.

I swapped audio from some other clips for the same reason.

This was filmed several months ago (there is snow on the ground now) I think I would shoot a few things differently if I were to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by paragliding

This was filmed several months ago (there is snow on the ground now) I think I would shoot a few things differently if I were to do it again.
    Then your going in the right direction in my opinion. Everytime I do a project I learn more of what works and what doesn't. (Like the behind the camera dialog...glad I wasn't alone on that). I can't wait to shoot new video because I know more of what I need for the given project by not having the right clips on the last one. It's just a learning process.
    Keep at it, I want to see your next one.
    www.disciplinedbreakdown.com

AMD64 3000+
    ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
    1.5GB Corsair RAM
    ATI 9800 Pro 256MB
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platium
    2 - 36GB 10,000 RPM Raptor\'s Raid 0 (for OS)
    2+TB Data Storage (including network)

Software - Yup

Blog Entries

Yes, much better, now it doesnt feel so much like a 'home video' but has more of a finished feel about it, the music and fade at the end bring things to a close and contrast well with the funny start.

Every film should have a beginning a middle and an end, a flow, a nasrrative almost and this is what I see now.

The titles also add much. I always thnik of titles a the wrapping on a present. What is inside is the same but the wrapping and bows (or titles) can increase the enjoyment of recieveing the present or the watching of a film.

I think the tent gag could be a bit shorter and speeded up a bit more. This film is not about putting up a tent, that is just a gag, does it take up too much of the film ?

Another technical point i just noticed. Auto focus, TURN IT OFF, nearly always. In anything but perfect lighting it hunts as I see on the dark shots, looks really cheap. Even in perfect conditions it can focus on the wrong thing. In bright light not usually problem as the iris is closed so the dof is very large. Rember, pro cameras dont have auto focus.

I am no expert remember but i like the changes.

Usually I would turn off auto focus, but since I was filming myself and I didn't know whether it would be in focus or not I left it.

Thanks once again for the useful advice.

Since it is just a home video and I have already started my next project I will leave it there and move on.

The next video will be closer to 30 mins. I have done two minutes so far!