Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some serious advice with Vegas..

Default Need some serious advice with Vegas..

Hi, I recently picked up Vegas 6 to edit my tv show every week.

1st, I LOVE IT.. that is 1

but i believe i have a big problem, after i edit everything in Vegas, i will need to get that footage onto mini-dv and/or DVD and right now it seems like a long long process.

What i do is edit the show, render in vegas to .avi then burn that .avi with dvd architecture..

is there a more efficient way to do this? because it seems very redundant.

Also how come i can't export directly from vegas to mini-dv?

Blog Entries

You will alweays need to render befor priting to tape or dvd. Quicker to render to tape (usually) as compressing to mpeg2 for dvd can be very slow. This is npt peculiar to vegas. Making a dvd requires much o processing and is always slow.

To cut down render times avoid using jazzy effects, keep track count low. Dont change formats (keep all as pal dv for example), get a faster pc. Get a few pcs and use network render function. I have never tried this but I think 4 pcs can render a project when networked together, anyone doen this ?

Network render sounds interesting, i wonder if i can add my laptop to help render if that would help out at all

unfortunately i only have 512 ram and the rd ram is too expensive for me to pick up an extra gig or so

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar
    .. anyone done this ?
    I tried recently, and have yet to try gain. I am linking my laptop to my main PC and my first stab (although it was a quick five minute test and not a serious effort) gave me an error I cannot remember right now. I will have another stab over the next week and report back unless anyone else has done it and posts sooner.

Blog Entries

Re the above, vegas does not need lots of ram, sonic foundry told me 512 is plenty. I will get around to networking up my spare pc soon and will try to get the net render thing working.

I only have 512 of ram and unfortunately for me the RD ram is too expensive for me to pick up more right now

Default Network Rendering

The whole issue surrounding network rendering has still to be fully addressed. I have been rendering off sections of a 1hr documentary of which 15 mins per section takes approx 2.5hrs to render off. Lots of effects multi track video compositing with chromakeying etc. I have not yet or come accross anyone who has figured out this network rendering that Sony "Boasts" about. I would be very interested to hear from anybody who has implemented this facility succesfully. Cheers
    Tom Robinson
    Director/Cameraman/Editor

8. Default

Hey...I've been playing around with network rendering and looks cool. A few things to be aware of.....if you want to do Network rendering with MPEG2 files you need to purchase multiple copies of Vegas...if you want to use 3 PCs you'll need 3 copies. Vegas comes with 3 licenses for network rendering for AVI files.......so if you have a completed project you can install Vegas on additional PCs as a render client only. The configuration is a bit tricky but once you get it set up it works pretty good. At one time I was running 3 PCs as render clients and it cut my render time in half.
    Check this link......http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/dow...p2.asp?DID=515

To cut down on rendering times I use 2 HDDs, one with original footage and the second gets the final project written to it, thus your rig is not reading writing to the same drive.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

Blog Entries

Bengal, ta for link, will try it out soonish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast