Thread: newb

Default newb

this may be a dumb question but we all gotta start somewhere right? im looking to edit and make skateboarding movies. i need things like slow mo and all that kinda stuff, what software should i get?

thanks for the help!

If you're using XP then you've already got decent software for what you are trying to do - Windows Movie Maker. If you need a bit more then you could do worse than look at Adobe Premiere Elements 2

Depends on your budget and overall aim really.

yea im running xp and ive used that before, ive been looking at vegas and adobe and ulead, mt friend got me a copy of ulead and adobe to try out and ive got the vegas trial too, i dont know wat one to use and i dont have a clue how to use them either, i guess im wondering which would be easy to start out with and some tips on how to do things like in skate vidz and things like that.

thanks for all the help!

Blog Entries

I think it's all a matter of preference. If you use Adobe stuff, you'll most likely be at home with their software. I have always found Vegas to be much more intuitive and easy to use. Just down to what you get comfortable with.

Agreed

Best thing to do is play around with all sorts of different packages until you land on one that you like. It sounds like you've got access to a good few so see what you think. You can always look around for more and they all tend to have free trials.

As far as the filming and editing goes you should try anything that comes into your head. I've never filmed your topic but I would imagine you want loads of good angles, good music and pace. Look around the net for clips similar to what you're doing and copy the styles that you like.

Remember that you can't break anything so be as adventurous as you want. Once you've put your clips together post them up here in the User Videos section and people will give you good feedback on how to go about it all.

Are you a member of a skateboarding club or is it just going to be yourself and a couple of friends going round the local park grabbing shots on the fly before the Police arrive? Useful information would be who's taking part, how many, where do you have access to, what kind of equipment do you already have or can get your hands on? Start brainstorming with your friends and write down any and all of the ideas that come into your head. Personal music tastes, films etc can all have a bearing on the style of the film in all three stages of production - pre production, production and post production.