Thread: burning mulitple projects

Default burning mulitple projects

I'm a brand new user who finds the Pinnacle Studio 9 software very user friendly. However, this is one question I cannot find an answer for on your 'help' page.
    I have been doing several captures, from my dvtape and saving them in my project file.
    When I have enough movies to fill a disc, can I take all these projects and burn them on one disc, or do I need to burn each project as I get it done and add to the disc as I go?

There's a couple of ways of doing what you want.

From your post if I understand you correctly you have made a project file with multiple captures on the timeline.
    If this is the case when you're all done add any menus you want to the timeline and then go to the MAKE MOVIE tab and create your dvd from there.

If your talking about a separate project file for each capture then first take each project file, go to the MAKE MOVIE tab and render each one out as an avi file, use the dv-avi codec so you don't lose any quality.
    Then start a new project and bring each of these new avi files back to the timeline, add any menus and then go to MAKE MOVIE tab and make your disc as above.

The only thing I would say is that sometimes studio has a problem with rendering longer projects when making dvd's, I personally have found that I can't seem to get a project longer than an hour to render succesfully, under that threshold and I'm fine. It is a known bug but doesn't appear to affect everyone.

Good luck with your project.

Raj,

Yes I was talking about a separate project file for each capture and you explained it perfectly.
    I just had some confusion as to what my options were going to be when I went to burn the dvd, whether or not I could burn multiple projects.

I am unsure how to bring each of these new avi files back to the timeline in a new project, but I am sure I will be able to figure it out when I get there.

I tried to get more information regarding different formats and their purpose but still confused. Am I right in my thinking that avi format is for computer use. What format does it burn in-mpeg2?

Thanks for helping a newbie find her way.

Bringing the new avi's back into the timeline is easy.

when you're on the Edit Tab on the left side of the screen you have a set of buttons that switch between all your options, eg captured footage, transitions etc.

Click on the top one, the camcorder one, and it will show most probably the last set of footage you were working with.
    There should be a folder icon somewhere on there at the top. All you have to do is click on the folder icon and then navigate to where you got studio to save the rendered avi of your project file.

Studio will then put that file into the window and probably break it down into scenes, you can always combine it back into one. Once you have it there its just a simple case of dragging it down to the timeline as normal.

Then you can navigate to the next one if its in a different folder or if its in the same one just use the drop down box and select the next one you want and repeat as necessary until you have all the projects you want to put on one disc.

As for avi being only for pc I no expert on this so I'll just post some info from Seymour and Marc who know a lot more than me.

from seymour
    The avi format is 'raw' digital video with no compression at all, and so therefore it is the best quality that you're going to get. The mpeg file is compressed, and therefore there is a loss of quality.

from Marc

Just a minor correction on what seymore posted: the term AVI refers to a'wrapper' or 'container' to play video on a Windows O/S. An AVI file can contain video encoded in a variety of formats: from uncompressed video, to DV (approx 5: compression) and highly compressed MPEG4.

Hope this helps

Default multiple projects

Your reply has been printed and is in my files for reference. Very good information-thanks a lot.

I'm sure I'll learn more as I go along. I just needed a little boost.

That's interesting that avi is a 'wrapper'. Good to know.

Good forum!