Thread: fine-tuning motion of high-speed captured videos

Default fine-tuning motion of high-speed captured videos

hello! I'm new to this forum and I also know very little of video editing. My problem is the following: I have recorded facial expressions videos with a high-speed digital camera that captures up to 500 frames per second! Clearly, I have a lot of added information that can't reasonably be viewed in real motion, but I have to approximate real-time motion as much as possible. Above all, what I look for, is that the changement appear smooth and absolutely not jerky. How I can do that?
    Currently, I am doing the following: I import up to 600 static TIFF in adobe after effects, and then I export them to make a movie, setting the speed of the composition at 60 fps or more.
    But the movement is jerky. How can ameliorate this?
    Is it possible with after effects?

Blog Entries

I probably won't be able to answer, but to give people a better understanding of what you're doing, could you explain why you used a high speed camera? Typically this would be for ultra-slow motion playback.

60fps of uncompressed footage would also playback choppy on an underperfoming system regardless of inputs. Did you compress at all?

Default high speed motion

I do use an high-speed camera for the purpose of behavioral study in psychology. I would like to explore how the EXAXT temporal parameters of a naturally displayed facial expression do affect recognition judgments of the same expression. Thus, I will have subjects viewing facial expression movies recorded at 500 fps, which means, videos displaying as much information as possible concerning what happens when producing a facial expression..but I need to speed up the movement a bit, preserving smoothness and information, so that the subjects'sensation while watching the videos would not be too unnatural and confusing with respect to the real world scenes!
    I hope someone will give me some useful advice..
    thanks!
    C

Default Re: fine-tuning motion of high-speed captured videos

Quote Originally Posted by Chiara Fiorentini
    Currently, I am doing the following: I import up to 600 static TIFF in adobe after effects, and then I export them to make a movie, setting the speed of the composition at 60 fps or more.
    But the movement is jerky. How can ameliorate this?
    Is it possible with after effects?
    Have you tried including some motion blur?

Blog Entries

To be perfectly honest, I can't see how using more than 25fps is going to provide much more detail than 500fps to the naked eye. You'll also run into problems playing back on a TV.

As I say, unless you're going to slow the motion down I don't really see there being an advantage to the ultra high frame rate.