Thread: Please HELP! Pinnacle Deluxe - 400 mb / h DV Encoding??

Default Please HELP! Pinnacle Deluxe - 400 mb / h DV Encoding??

Hello, I'm Alex from Romania. First of all, please excuse my poor English; I hope you'll understand my problem. So here it is:
    I had just bought a Pinnacle Deluxe capture board and, after I read couple of your tips and advices, I still don't know how to solve my encoding problem. On the box of the product (which is, of course, licensed, with Studio 8 delivered, otherwise a problem in Romania), it's written that it is capable to encode a hour of DV quality for 400 mb, which other tehnical solution require aprox. 14 GB! So, I tryied hard to achieve this standard but, the best I could obtain is something like 20 mb/ min, using a Mpeg 4 V3 encoder, that is very bad when it comes on the fast movement of the action taped.
    So, I tested the encoder provided by the soft licensed (Studio 8., and also from a large collection of codecs: Rududu, Mpeg 4, Mpeg Fast/ Low Motion, DivX5.05 etc, without any luck. I'm desperate! Please help! How can I achieve at least 1 hour/ CD at a quality of 720 X 560?
    I have an Athlon at 2000, with 256 mb RAM, NVIDIA II with 64mb, and something like 14 GB free on the hard, that, from my informations, it's more that enough for the hardware requirements.
    I noticed that when I try to capture directly to CD it's say on the instructions that it uses a Mpeg compresion that allow me to put an hour on CD, but still, that comresion it's nowhere to find. Can you help me, please? Thank you!

Blog Entries

Codecs which produce the best quality at high compression rates are DivX and Xvid. You can download DivX from www.divx.com and the latest DivX binary from http://roeder.goe.net/~koepi/xvid.shtml

You should be able to get your desired results using either one of these codecs, but I notice you've already tried DivX. What settings did you use?

Default DIVX? You could be right.. but..

Both, XVID and DIV X have been tested by me, but, true, I only tried with the default settings. Thankx very much for you help! It may be usefull tu have a look on that but, that would affect the quality, of course.
    But what about the MPEG Codecs or any other with are supplied by the Pinnacle? From your's informations do you know something about that Smart Capture (TM) Tehnology that the presentation of the product mentioned? (the one with 400 mb/ h on DV quality)
    I'm very glad that you are helping me! Thank you!