Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on this one pls

Default Need some advice on this one pls

Hi,

Someone gave me a tape, a song, and some photos and asked me to make a short video for them, as a christmas present. Its a charity thing, the two girls are from an orphanage in africa, they came over to see London in the summer and this is a little remider for them... (I didnt shoot any of this...!)

I did this this morning... and because of the song I had to use, I had to do something to get some pace in the video as the whole tape was full of very very slow pans etc... Well, essentially I speeded a lot of the footage up and I really cant decide if it looks crap or not... I personally quite like it given the time etc, but not sure if it will make you feel sick with the camera wobbling so fast?

Let me know what you think... (of the speeded up bits, and if you have any suggestions about what I could do instead pls advise!)

www.video-edit.co.uk/Jackie&Knight.wmv

Cheers

edited url

Blog Entries

Very nicely done indeed. The only thing I disliked was the opening shots: they looked miserable as hell and it seemed to start all too abruptly. Why not start with the girls having breakfast, then move onto the bus, then tube etc. Tells more of a story that way IMHO.

it was a nice peice. all i could recsomend is have SOME bits of propper speed.

Thanks Marc,

Indeed they do look miserable, apparently they had just got off the plane and went straight to the London Eye!)

I tried to build up a story...obviously didnt work

Day one... London Eye...Tube to...river trip.....

Day two... Breakfast...bus to...alton towers

Perhaps a "fade to night" or titles to seperate the two days would help?...

Ill have a look at the front end...it was rushed as usual and your right it does start far too abruptly...

Main thing is that the speeded up bits didnt make you feel sick?

Thanks for the advice, just what i needed

Luke... Only about half the clips are actually speeded up.... I think its the music and fast cutting that makes it all look a bit fast...

are there any bits in particular you would suggest slowing down?

Cheers

Blog Entries

I think the 'sped-up' sections were a good choice. Gives it a funky look

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    I think the 'sped-up' sections were a good choice. Gives it a funky look
    yeh i agree just i thought a bit to much..sorry just my opinon.

No need to apologise Luke!, thats exactly what I asked for...

I too thought I over did it with the speed... hence posting the video here really...to see what other people thought, Ill prob try and spend some time tomorrow evening to finish off, and tidy up the front end/slow some of the better shots down a little...

Would be great if you have any suggestions regarding which particular clips dont work so well "sped" up...

Cheers!

Hey dude,

That's really sweet. Remeber though as for storyline they will get it. They were there and its there memories so it will have more reference to them then anyone else. It's a lovely piece and has a great pace to it.

2 things you could do....

On the sped up sections you could freeze them on diffrent beats then let them play again on the next beat. move stop move stop kinda thing.

On the stills you could pan across the stills where you hold onthem for a second or 2 to make em a lil more vibrant.

canít believe you took a camcorder :o onto the tube people must of looked at you strange not sure i would walk around london with my camera i have seen some people get really funny if you even get them on the film when walking passed but thatís just me plus my camera is big i guess if its a small camera its ok because they cant see it. But as far as your video goes it looks good does look a little fast but listen to the other 2 guys they know best.

Thanks for sharing it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jo
    canít believe you took a camcorder onto the tube...
    He didn't Jo. Someone else shot it.

CMS. I thought it was really very good. I do agree with Luke to a degree though. I think there is just too much sped up stuff. Although it's very effective, it seems a bit overcooked. How about doing the reverse and doing some really slow bits to counteract?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast