Thread: Firewire substitute

1. Default Firewire substitute

I have a question that might belong in left field, I have a hitachi DVD camcorder that came with a USB cable so I assume that the port on the camera is USB. Can I plug a firewire cable into the camcorder and then into my computers firewire port to capture?

I took a look at the sticky above but just wanted to clarify if this exact setup is even possible.

Thanks

Blog Entries

DVD camcorders don't normally have firewire connections. Users have reported that the best way to edit footage from a DVD camcorder is to copy the VOB files to your PC (pop the DVD into the drive and drag the files).

3. Default

right, my camera does not have a firewire connection as stated, I have saved the .VOB files on my comp, and have tried several different conversion programs ( to .avi) once in adobe premier it plays with a very jagged effect not smooth. I have tried other .avi files from tutorials that I am studying and they play without pause.

Blog Entries

Premiere dislikes MPEG. To edit your VOBS in Premiere, follow step 10 of the FAQ - http://www.videoforums.co.uk/reviews/faq

5. Default

uhm, dont mean to be rude here and yes I am looking for help, I didnt say anything about an MPEG ..... as stated the conversion is .VOB to .AVI, no need for a run of the mill. I appreciate the response as I believe you have given this one many times (possibly canned), I have been quite specific.

Thanks

Blog Entries

VOB files are essentially MPEG files as described in the FAQ. It's therefore the same process as described in the step 10 of the FAQ.

7. Default

ok, thank you, I will definatley give that a shot.

8. Default

I followed step 10 downloaded the panasonic codec and installed virtualdub. The only file that I was able to locate from the camcorder was a .VRO no .VOB file present (yes there is video on the disc). Once I tried to Open Video File I recieve this error message : MPEG Import File: invalid pack position 3:marker not set; possible MPEG-2 Stream. I tried renaming to .VOB recieved that same error message. Any suggestions?

Alright, I corrected the above error, moved the .VRO file to my comp again, downloaded and installed another version of virtualdubmod and installed opened up the file selected the panasonic codec had a few errors but as stated in the FAQ I had to resize to 720X480 i'm in the process of saving the .AVI right now.