Thread: What do the TV pro's use?

Default What do the TV pro's use?

Sorry if this question is in the wrong forum but I've been wondering for a while what do the actual TV broadcast people use for editing/making their stuff? I'm talking like TV ad's and other stuff made for public broadcast.

This is something i would like to get into.

Thanks!

Default Re: What do the TV pro's use?

Quote Originally Posted by Swerve
    Sorry if this question is in the wrong forum but I've been wondering for a while what do the actual TV broadcast people use for editing/making their stuff? I'm talking like TV ad's and other stuff made for public broadcast.

This is something i would like to get into.

Thanks!
    woo woo..if your new to this dont rush in! to awnser your question i think the BBC use avid systems (i will check with my mate) but some departments may use adobe premier premier pro. to shoot they will probs use sony FX1s or cannon XM1s or XM2s. My uncle does freelance stuff for ITV and edits in apple mac Final cut pro and hires the camera he requires as diffrent people want diffrent formats. if you want a whole editing rig then you need to think of little details like i want X amount of flat screens and X amount of firewire cables. Can you state if your new to editing.

Hi, and thanks a lot.

Yes I'm quite new to video editing but I hope that if I keep interested and spend my time getting to know the packages they use to a good level, I might have a chance.

So do quite a few use packages like primiere pro then? I was'nt sure if they had their own systems or something.

i really have no idea how the TV companies operate in this field.

ANY info is greatly appreiciated!

try browsing this link

Sony has some serious Brodcast quality equipment

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...et_10014.shtml

But, as with anything Sony, once you start buying equipment from them you are stuck in thier world (compatability) and you better have a lot of money

As for software - any major piece of software is used, PC and apple platforms, 'Hardware' editors (Tape splicing and frame editing directly from tape...) and many flavors of highly custom and proprietary software depending on the studio.

Most production studios and advertising agencys will have a variety of hardware and software to work with.
    My System Specs:

Cameras: 2 x Canon XL1s
    Computer: Dual Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz processors (hyperthreaded) - Intel SE7505VB2 mother board - 2 Gb PC2100 RAM kingston -Adaptec FireConnect 4300 -2xseagate 10K scsi hdd 150G ea -2xseagate 7200 ide hdd 200G ea - Plextor PX-708A DVD burner - ATi Raedon 9800Pro video with Dual SUN 21\" monitors - Sound Blaster Platinum live!
    Software: Windows XP Pro with SP2 - Pyro Pro (adobe\'s premier pro, encore DVD, and audition bundle)

if your new start with a small packege like pincle then move to things like adobe. you could start in avids free editing program

Alot of teh postproduction houses I've dealt with use FinalCutPro. Some of these places have Avid suites and are letting them catch dust. FCP is king at the moment.