Thread: Canon XM" download advice required

Default Canon XM" download advice required

Hi I'm a newbie to video editing and I have been trying to download from the Canon XM2.
    I'm on my second Firewire Card(thought the first one may have been faulty!) and have tried to download using Magix Movie Edit Pro but I just get a message saying 'could not connect to selected device' this is after hitting record and selecting device.
    The PC seems to recognise the card - the cable is new - but still no joy.
    Are there any settings on the camera that I should be aware of?

Help!!

If the camera is connected correctly to the computer, then you should get a little noise coming from the computer indicating that it has detected new hardware. Also check in the Device Manager to see if it is listed there. Make sure the camera is in playback mode and not some other mode, I'm not quite sure what is and isn't on the XM2. I take it you can see the footage on the tape being played back on the viewfinder? What operating system are u using?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony
    If the camera is connected correctly to the computer, then you should get a little noise coming from the computer indicating that it has detected new hardware. Also check in the Device Manager to see if it is listed there. Make sure the camera is in playback mode and not some other mode, I'm not quite sure what is and isn't on the XM2. I take it you can see the footage on the tape being played back on the viewfinder? What operating system are u using?
    that little ding should sound like this: http://www.ld-productions.co.uk/ping.WAV

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony
    Thanks for the replies.

OK so far this is what I have done:-

Reinstalled the Firewire PCI card - Windows XP Pro detected new hardware, but still no joy - definitely no noise when I connect the camera.

Tried another camera (Canon MV700i) which connects via USB but still no recognition of camera

I'm thinking there may be some device conflict on my PC - but how do I find this out - the only other card in the PC is a sound card - I will remove that and try again.

The only other thing to mention is that 'DV IN' flashes in the viewfinder - this was mentioned in another post (but was not answered) and logically I would expect to see DV OUT (as I am in VCR mode).

Anyone got any further thoughts/suggestions?