Thread: "Newbie"- How do I splice video (recommend program

Default "Newbie"- How do I splice video (recommend program

For the last couple of months I've been capturing video via ADS DVD Xpress and burning it to DVD. I have mostly captured old VHS recordings and family videos, but now I want to play around a bit with editing.

I recently got a Satellite Receiver with built-in PVR and have been recording Pay Per View events to the receiver's HD, capturing and eventually burning to DVD. What I want to do now is record events to the hard disk, capture it and edit out the comercials before burning it to DVD. What software do I need to do this sort of thing? The capture device came with Ulead Movie Factory 3 SE, but it doesn't seem to be what I need (or I don't know how to use it correctly, LOL). Any software recommendation simple enough for a newbie to use?

PS My system specs (if it matters)

Intel Centrino 1.6 GHz/1GB RAM/ 60 & 250 GB HD's/ Audigy NoteBook/ ATI X300 128 MB/ Win XP Home SP2

If you just want to cut adverts out of MPEG2 content, then all you need is videoredo. http://www.videoredo.com/

Use this:

http://www.virtualdub.org/

It's free (donations accepted) and in my opinion for edting and features it reigns supreme. It opens AVI & MPEG. It will capture AVI as well. I reccommend the "Release build -- 1.6.17 (stable), 32-bit version" (for 32 bit systems of course) but a 64 bit one is available. There is even a support forum. You don't get much finer than that!