Thread: Encoding to Mpeg-2 from higher resolution AVIs

Default Encoding to Mpeg-2 from higher resolution AVIs

I am looking to buy some software to help me create DVDs of AVI files that I create . I would really appreciate some advice on a couple of issues if anyone can help.

For my work I create AVI files (of 3D traffic simulations). I can create these as MPEG-4, Cinepak or just as full frames (ie uncompressed). However, in order to get a decent video I set the screen resolution to 1920x1200 when I record these. Any less and the quality is too poor for presentation.

I need to create a PAL DVD with a menu and a number of these videos on it. The first problem is that PAL DVDs use MPEG-2 which has a resolution of 720x576. At the moment I use VirtualDub to resize the original AVIs to 720x576 - this seems to be able to do it without losing too much quality. Then I render this file to MPEG-2. I have used Ulead and Adobe for this so far and Adobe gives massively better results when rendering. I assumed rendering to MPEG-2 would be the same on all software but is it the case that the softwares use different quality encoders?

Anyhoo, I then create a DVD such that there is a simple menu with a button for each clip, a background bitmap and the start and end of each video clip has a cross-fade from and to black at start and finish.

Simple, but I have to use three or four items of software to do it which is riiculous! (ie virtualdub, adobe premiere pro, adobe encore and ulead) So my question is this:

1) Can anyone suggest a good package that will do all of this for me (ie accepts 1920x1200 AVI and converts to MPEG-2 at a decent quality and can also produce DVDs with a flexible menu system and a simple cross-fade at start and finish of each clip).

2) For my personal understanding! Are all mpeg-2 encoders the same or is say adobe better than ulead??

I have looked at adobe premiere pro and DVD encore but neither accept 1920x1200 files and I would need premiere for the cross-fade and encore for the DVD menu as far as I can work out. Expensive to buy both for such a simple operation!

Any help and/or suggestions greatly appreciated...

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

Have you tried just importing your large AVI files into Premiere Pro? You should then simply be able to either:

a) right click on the clip in the asset list and choose 'interpret as' (or whatever it's called), choose a suitabel option to convince Premiere it's normal DV-AVI, then drop it o n a timeline; or

b) dump the high res version on the timeline and just scale it to fit.

Export as MPEG2 and then import into Encore. done!

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your help. This works but the quality of the output video is not as good as when I run it through VirtualDub first to resize it and then render it in Adobe so I will probably continue to do this for the timebeing.

One more question relating to my problem - To make menus etc in Encore is it a requirement to have Photoshop or can you just use bitmaps etc for backgrounds and buttons? Having to buy Premiere, Encore and Photoshop seems a bit much to me for what I need to do...

Thanks again