Thread: Interlaced video?

Default Interlaced video?

I have a Sony Handycam HC42E and the video on preview is jittery or interlaced during fast motion. I am using a firewire connection w/ WinXP.

I read the following on the website:
    http://www.student.oulu.fi/~miohtama...ting-tips.html
    "Always remember to deinterlace DV video before compressing it. Otherwise there will exist ugly rendering artifacts. Deinterlace should be the first filter applied on video."

I have noticed ugly artifacts. Are there any settings to disable interlacing when recording? And are there settings for capture in Windows Movie Maker to enable deinterlacing?

Thx
    J

Well, firstly I'm not familiar with WMM so can't discuss what specific options it may or may not have but...

...my experience of interlaced signals is that unless you have a 24p option on your camera then you will get interlacing.

Rather than de-interlace as the first step, if I'm going to bother at all then I leave the deinterlacing till after I have edited my movie and tick the de-intrerlace button in my 'export' dialogue box.

You didn't mention what you delivery system is. Web broadcast ro are you building DVD to watch on a TV? If the latter then you're likely just as well to leave the intelacing in there as standard TV will expect an interlaced signal.

Thanks Alan

I am going to use my PC as the primary viewing technique but I also every now and then would like to make a DVD for a friend or family member.

Say I deinterlaced the video and later decided to burn to DVD, would the TV have a problem with progressive video? I am not familiar with the differences and the problems they pose.

Using iuVCR, my greatest issue is the jagginess of the picture in preview mode, with interspersed lines ruining the picture... And I am led to believe that encoding this type of video creates ugly artifacts in WMM, even in 2Mbps bitrate encoding.

I have not seen a 24p option on my camcorder (Sony HandyCam), the manual is also useless in this regard and there seems to only be buyers guides and an online version of the manual on the web...

Thanks again,
    J

Quote Originally Posted by jsaonline
    I am going to use my PC as the primary viewing technique but I also every now and then would like to make a DVD for a friend or family member.

Say I deinterlaced the video and later decided to burn to DVD, would the TV have a problem with progressive video? I am not familiar with the differences and the problems they pose.
    In truth i really don't know. I have a CRT TV which 'likes' an interlaced signal and as de-interlacing during export takes longer I've just never tried to make a DVD from a de-interlaced movie. Sorry.

Blog Entries

By de-interlacing you'll most probably be using a method whereby one of the fields is discarded. This reduces the effective resolution meaning the quality will be lower. It will be playable on a TV and DVD player with progressive scan, but the quality won't be a s good as the original interlaced footage.

Ok, cool. Thanks guys. Well I read that WMM deinterlaces to WMV format automatically. I am not particularly happy with the quality (set to highest - 2.1Mbps) but will try play with VirtualDub tonight.

My cam seems to only do interlaced vid where I would like progressive as I use my cam primarily for PC. Well will have to cope I guess. Thanks again...

J