Thread: Unsolved problem keeping jpg slides in sync with audio

Default Unsolved problem keeping jpg slides in sync with audio

I'm using Vegas 4.0e on an XP Pro 1.6 cpu laptop w/plenty of memory. I am assembling a video production using about 300 jpg slides (taken in fine mode from a 5mp digital camera). Pics were brought into the vegas media pool and then are being inserted into the timeline, cut EXACTLY to certain beats in the music tracks. MY PROBLEM: on two different computers-both of them great for audio and video editing-playback of the program almost consistently produces a sync problem where the slides on the timeline get hung up for perhaps a quarter of a second or more. Generally, all the work that I do cutting the jpgs to the audio results in some jerky playback, loss of sync to the audio and a number of other things like this. I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS HAPPEN WHEN I PRODUCE USING DV VIDEO EVENTS. This is the first time I've used a huge number of jpg slides for a production. I'm really miffed trying to figure out this problem. DOES ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION that can help me? Thanks.

Blog Entries

Can we assume this jiggering is in preview only stage or in the final render?

I suspect the former. Render it out and my betting is all will be fine.

Vegas Previews can sometimes jigger if memory is stretched. Try reducing the preview mode quality to draft as well.

Hey, thanks Andy. Actually, I did try reducing the preview to a draft quality, but the timeline cursor (the moving hairline) is still showing some signs of hestitation and/or jumping over a few of the jpgs. In any case, I noticed that the problem seems to occur when I play the whole sequence from the beginning (the whole production is now at about 3.5 minutes). If, however, I stop playback and then restart it, the problem goes away. It's almost as though I have a memory clogging of sorts. Something is making the playback do this. Now, I would agree with you that I think IF I were to render the section that I'm having problems with, it might actually all be fine. I'm going to try this and see what happens. I'll post my results. ONE MORE THING: I tried closing up the gaps on the timeline so that the whole production is not stretched out, but I still am faced with the issue. Thanks for your help.
    Avi

Blog Entries

Yep, that confirms it for me. The rendered piece will be fine.

If you have put some nice fades or transitions between each slide, that will also contribute to the problem.

When doing this sort of project, I often use track motion to zoom in on the pics whilst using maybe a blur or fade transition. I sometimes get the same, even with a gig of ram.

Ok, I rendered the first 3.5 minutes of the program, and indeed all the audio and video was exactly where it was supposed to be. It turned out great. What threw me off was watching the unrendered stuff in preview. Still, this is a problem for me, but of course, not a huge problem, nonetheless, an issue that I would like to get resolved. As you said

"...I often use track motion to zoom in on the pics whilst using maybe a blur or fade transition. I sometimes get the same, even with a gig of ram."

Obviously, this tells me that memory and cpu speed is not the problem. So, what is the problem? Perhaps something in the Vegas software that needs to be addressed in future upgrades?

In any case, thanks for your help. I'll check back here in the forum from time to time for other comments from experienced users like yourself and see what the consensus is.

Blog Entries

Gald to help.

I have only ever used Vegas so I don't know if it's a problem restricted to it or not.