Thread: Need to start computer twice

Default Need to start computer twice

I know this isn't a computer forum, but I thought I would ask you guys anyway to see if any of you had a similar problem. Over the past couple of weeks I have had to start my computer twice for the first switch on of the day as the computer fails to load anything after the POST, I just get a 'No Input Signal' on the monitor screen so I hold the button in for 5 seconds, switch off and then switch on again and lo and behold everythng works perfectly. It doesn't matter how many times I switch on or off throughout the day the computer works perfectly. I've gotten a few error messages aswell like 'Bad BIOS Checksum - Checking for Floppy - Floppy not found - Checking for CD-Rom - CD Rom not found'. I have also changed some of the Startup options in msconfig to see if there was a utility/drivier etc problem but the two starts is still there, everything is fine in the Device Manager with no plings, questions marks or anything. Next thing was to set the BIOS settings back to their default or factory settings, did this and as you've probably guessed by now what the outcome of that was. So yesterday I stuck in the HP recovery DVD and reinstalled, I presume the operating system (might be wrong) and again no joy. The only things left to do are to reformat the hard disk and reinstall the OS again or take it back to were I got it and let them sort it out. Any help, comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Try the battery on the motherboard.

This sounds very much like this is the problem. When you switch on from an overnight 'off', the battery is dead. Being some sort of rechargable battery, when you first turn it on it picks up a little charge, then works fine the rest of the day. Then dies again overnight.

The computer won't finish the post because the BIOS has been reset to factory, reconfigures itself on first boot (but doesn't complete the post because of all the 'new' devices it detects), then when you reboot it works fine (because the little charge the battery got is enough to store the 'changes' in the short time it takes you to reboot).

Now for the bad news - being an HP, the battery is probably hard soldered onto the motherboard. All is not lost however, there should be a jumper switch to configure for an external battery, you will have to consult your manuals (or HP's website) for the specs. Turn the PC off, find and configure the jumper, plug in the external battery (assuming you went out and bought one - make sure you get the right one as per HP's specs), then boot as normal (you may still have the same problem on the very first boot but that should be it)

If you are lucky and its not hard soldered on then take the battery into your local battery store and buy a new one.

good luck
    My System Specs:

Cameras: 2 x Canon XL1s
    Computer: Dual Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz processors (hyperthreaded) - Intel SE7505VB2 mother board - 2 Gb PC2100 RAM kingston -Adaptec FireConnect 4300 -2xseagate 10K scsi hdd 150G ea -2xseagate 7200 ide hdd 200G ea - Plextor PX-708A DVD burner - ATi Raedon 9800Pro video with Dual SUN 21\" monitors - Sound Blaster Platinum live!
    Software: Windows XP Pro with SP2 - Pyro Pro (adobe\'s premier pro, encore DVD, and audition bundle)

Thanks CrkMStanz

I will certainly tryout what you suggested, is it a case that the battery only lasts for a few months as this is only a recent problem? I never had this problem on my previous two PC's, but then again they weren't HP's. Keeping my fingers crossed the battery is 'welded' to the motherboard.

It must be affecting my typing aswell, I should have said I hope it isn't 'welded' to the motherboard.

Batteries are only as good as any other thing manufactured in this world today

some last long, others crap out early - just luck of the draw

I have been involved with large scale rollouts of PC's in a corporate environment and there is a consistent 2% failure rate new. I've taken computers straight out of the box that have dead motherboard batteries or other 'wrong' things.

so if it turns out to be the problem, well, you were just on the wrong end of that draw - if its a new PC the seller should fix it free.

good luck
    My System Specs:

Computer: Dual Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz processors (hyperthreaded) - Intel SE7505VB2 mother board - 2 Gb PC2100 RAM kingston -Adaptec FireConnect 4300 -2xseagate 10K scsi hdd 150G ea -2xseagate 7200 ide hdd 200G ea - Plextor PX-708A DVD burner - ATi Raedon 9800Pro video with Dual SUN 21\" monitors - Sound Blaster Platinum live!
    Software: Windows XP Pro with SP2 - Pyro Pro (adobe\'s premier pro, encore DVD, and audition bundle)

Thanks for the responses CrkMStanz, yes it is a new(ish) PC, so it is still under warranty. I was onto the shop were I purchased it on Monday and they said they will have a look at it but it might have to go back to HP and will take about 10 to 14 working days. I'm just wondering if I let them send it off, I won't see it again this side of Christmas and I'm sort of depending on having it here. I told the tech guy in the shop I tried to upgrade the BIOS and I got an ear splitting lecture from him (I think he must have been a Sergeant Major in a previous life - could this guy shout or what) that it wasn't a good idea for mere mortals to go near the BIOS. The computer wouldn't let me upgrade anyway and went back to the factory default (phew!). So in it goes to them as soon as I get my files off.

That leads me onto my next question. I've just purchased a Freecom 160GB external hard disk to put my files on, great drive, fast and quiet. The only problem I can see is it won't let me save files larger than 4GB. I can save 1GB, 2GB and 3GB files but it tells me the disk is full when I try and save a 4GB video file but when I check it says there is 107GB free on it. Any ideas? It's formatted to FAT32.

If your 'computer guy' shouts like a sergeant and cant fix a battery at his store - then you need a new computer guy

And he should know that no matter what you do to the BIOS there is a little jumper on the motherboard to reset it to factory - that being said there are ingenious and devious ways to actually ruin one permanently. Still, no need to shout...

and you should be wary of BIOS 'upgrades' unless you are pretty sure you are applying the right one in the right way. and you should never apply a BIOS patch unless the technical specs actually say that it fixes the exact problem you are having (or desperation forces you to the 'I got nothing to lose' point).

Under no circumstances should you let your computer be shipped anywhere before you get your files off - I probably don't have to tell you this but I like to say it anyways.

Your external HDD is FAT32 formatted - so no files greater than 4GB for you - this is a known limitation of FAT32. If you can't format it in NTFS you are stuck with 4MB and less for a file size.

good luck
    My System Specs:

This topics a little dated, but I figured i'd give it some input.

I get this problem when I overclock too far. It takes two attempts to restart simply because the power supply doesn't send out enough juice to start everything up at once. The second atempt powers up the rest. I wouldn't be too worried, it's more of an annoyance in my opinion. It could be signs that your powersupply is going bad, though, if it used to work fine...