Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound recorder of choice?

Default Sound recorder of choice?

It's not convenient atr all times to let my video camera record the sound and I want to know what sound recorder box/gadget is best to buy. maybe a minidisc recorder? Or can I get away with pluggin a microphone into an MP3 player with sound record capabilities. Any idea?

Basically, when I'm in glidecam mode I do not want to mount an external microphone on my camera and also do not want the lead coming out of the camera (tugging it) so I thought maybe get a seperate sound recorder.

Whatever the device I'll be looking to plug a sennheiser Me66/K6 into it. I have an XLR-to-jack converter already.

ideas anyone?

I know there is a ipod extention kit

Ah, but then I'd have to install iTunes on my editing rig wouldn't I?

I've actually started looking at the Edirol R1. Being solid state I prefer the idea of that to some Minidisk recorder. Also minidisk records get further out of sync the longer they run con't they? I don't fanyc trying tweak a recording that by the end of half an hour is about 2 seconds out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills
    I don't fanyc trying tweak a recording that by the end of half an hour is about 2 seconds out.
    Everyone argues with me about minidisc Alan, but...

It's not quite as bad as you think. Over an hour, Minidisc (and I've tried several machines, pro and consumer) is around half a second slower. Now, on normal stuff, it wouldn't really matter that much, easy to sync etc, but, with music, drums and cymbals etc sound awful, like a really bad echo.

I now use one of two solutions. I bought a really cheap tatty DV cam from a second hand shop (99), plug in external mic or feed from a sound desk and just record the audio onto DV tape. Perfect every time. Down side slow to capture and large memory use. My other alternative and favourite is if mains supply is available, is to use a CD recorder. Perfect sync again, every time. Down side is shorter record time and pricier.

On half an hour minidisc will probably lag by 0.25 of a second. Poor but not the end of the world.

Well, the interim solution I've come up with is exactly one of your solutions, which I tested over the weekend.

Connect and external mic to my Sony TRV-33E via a beachtec box (because my external mic is XLR) and record to miniDV.

I need to dive into the manual a bit to see if the camera has any manual level controls but either way, it'll do until I find better.

I notice that Edirol are exhibiting at the videoforum in Feb so I'll certainly stop by.

ipods should show up as remoble hardwear i think.

Blog Entries

Show off time. I've been given one of these to play with

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/digit...d/dr_d16xd.asp

Jealous? You should be, it's blimmin awesome! I've only had it a week and I've only scratched the surface of what it can do. Finally, I can record bands in super-duper multitrack fantabulousnessness.

Face ... green ... envy !!

But I'm wondering .. if this thing can record x tracks simultaneously, can it record stereo from a pair of mikes without introducing timing erors that might screw up your stereo image. ??

GG

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGiant
    .. can it record stereo from a pair of mikes without introducing timing erors that might screw up your stereo image...?
    That it can Sir. In fact, my version can record up to SIXTEEN microphones at the same time. And then I can add echo, compression, effects etc, then mix to a stereo master channel which it exports to the PC as a WAV file.
    I just finished a test run of a two hour show and the thing is micro-second perfect.

The only problem is portability. Now I want one I can strap to my back and works on batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Turn Media
    The only problem is portability. Now I want one I can strap to my back and works on batteries.
    Now that, sir, is the real trick and the heart of my original question. Fostex do a battery powered 8 track mixer recorder http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...ucts/mr8.shtml andis also solid state. This year's model also has a hard drive in it but only runs off the mains as far as I can tell. Both are postable-ish and if you can suffer a mains lead then the hard drive version could be a winner for you http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...ts/mr8hd.shtml

I even made a few phone calls and got the geeral consensus that this piece if kit is NOT suitable to be shoulder trapped and carried around. Shame, as it's half the price of the next best choice.

For me, all roads seems to lead back the Marantz PMD660. It does look like a decent bit of kit but it's just damn hard justifying the price - especially when you have the cost of a couple fo decent sized CompactFlah cards as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast