Thread: dubbing problem

Default dubbing problem

I have some source material on Hi8 tape. I have a Sony TR101 Handycam.
    I am dubbing this material onto miniDV tape on a Canon Elura Digital Video Camcorder. I then transfer video from the Elura onto my PowerMac G5 via firewire.
    The problem is that the final video always has a "video static" streak on the bottom of the frame. This is not obvious until it is played on the computer. It does not appear on the Hi8 tape. It does not appear on the miniDV tape. It only occurs when I import the miniDV material into my computer and view it on my computer. It does not matter what brand tape. And I have played around a bit with the settings in the Canon Elura.
    Does anyone have an explanation, or better yet a cure.
    Thanks

Blog Entries

This is probably because what you're seeing on your monitor is actually more of the picture than what you're seeing on a TV or Camcorder monitor. TV's have an element of overscan, meaning the viewable picture is less than the actual picture. It's likely that this line exists on your original footage, you've just never seen it before (PC monitors display all of the video.)

Just crop the bottom of the video, or leave it there if you're going to view the end product on a TV.

Default dubbing problem

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    This is probably because what you're seeing on your monitor is actually more of the picture than what you're seeing on a TV or Camcorder monitor. TV's have an element of overscan, meaning the viewable picture is less than the actual picture. It's likely that this line exists on your original footage, you've just never seen it before (PC monitors display all of the video.)

Just crop the bottom of the video, or leave it there if you're going to view the end product on a TV.
    Thank you.
    That seems to be it.
    I'm using iMovie.
    How do I crop the bottom of the video?