Thread: Problem with video capture via FX5600

Default Problem with video capture via FX5600

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but not to computing generally (been building, fixing and generally farting about with computers since the days of CP/M.)

I've done a little video capture via Firewire, but haven't tried analogue before.

Yesterday I tried my hand at capture from PAL VCR to hard disk via S-video and my Leadtek FX5600 TD (256MB) video card (my DV camera is a Sony TRV900 and lacks pass-through.)

Everything appeared to go fine, the tape duly played on the monitor and recorded to HD, but the resulting saved file proved useless.

It was the expected size, but the video track plays back in what appears to be fast-forward mode.

The audio is complete and plays at normal speed, but the 86 minute video runs from start to finish in about three minutes, then displays the final frame until the audio track finishes.

This is probably a bug in Leadtek's supplied capture program. :(

I tried recording in both DVD and Mpeg 2 format, same result both times, and also rendered the Mpeg 2 file to AVI using Vegas 4.0, which appeared to go fine (took a bit over an hour) but the resulting 18GB AVI played back exactly the same.

I've several apps that recognise the TV IN side of the card is there and what it is, but none will capture from it.

The relevant hardware is: Gigabyte GA-7NNXP, Athlon 2800XP (barton), 1GB Corsair 3200 Twinx, the aforesaid FX5600 TD, 2 x 120GB Seagate HD's in SATA RAID 0, and video capture is to a dedicated 80GB Hitachi (IBM) GXP120 on IDE 0.

My question: Does anyone know of a program that will capture the input from an Nvidia FX card?

TIA

Idle

:idea: Just a thought, but why don't you use the AV IN facility of the TRV900? You could transfer your VHS footage direct to mini DV and thereafter have it in digital format for subsequent transfer via Fiewire.

Yes, I know, and I've done it before, just thought that, since I have a device that supposedly can capture direct, I'd like to try it and possibly save myself some work -- some of the stuff I'd like to archive on DVD takes more than one DV tape.

Thanks for the thought, though.

Blog Entries

I've been told that iuvcr (and the "hacked" WDM drivers) offers the best capture performance. Check out the software at http://www.iuvcr.com/

Thanks, Marc -- I'll check them out.