Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Studio 10 is here what are your thoughts

Default Pinnacle Studio 10 trial version should be available soon

I read in the Studio 10 General web board that there should be a trial version out soon. This forum can be accessed from the Pinnacle Systems Discussion Forums at the following URL:

http://webboard.pinnaclesys.com/read...onID=273&lng=1

Default I agree

I'm new to video editing and took my time in deciding which software to purchase. In the end, it was a toss up between Elements and Studio Plus and I went with Studio Plus 10 as it had features I required (also version 9 was no longer avaliable)

I even used trial version of Pinnacle 9.4.3 I got with free a DVD on purchase of one of those Video Editing magazines.

What a crock this software is; the sudden shut downs and abnormal behaviour are only a few to mention. At first I thought I installed incorrectly, checked everything twice over, nada. Then I hit the web to complain but decided to find some forums on the matter as I don't consider myself 'thick' when it comes to computers and I'm sure I wasnt the only one out there.

Proved myself right on that one. Any advice? I can't buy previous versions, at least I don't think so. I want to get a DVD created before x-mas and considering getting Elements 2. Does Studio_Plus and Elements 2 differ that greatly? I liked the 'pic in pic feature and pan and zoom' of StudioP, but I've read the Elements website and it does not state whether this is possible... ARG!

Sharaman & David:

Fully understand what you are saying and agree whole heartedly with what should be done when you get new software. I would also like you to know that I installed this version separate from Version 9.4 for this very purpose. Never fails however that something goes array.

What seems like has happened is that Version 10 installed beautifully with no hick ups. I even installed the media suite package. Again no problems. It looks like the link up between the pinnacle program and my Nvida card has been screwed up. I can capture sound but no video image. When I clicked on my Version 9.4 same things. What is interesting is that Windows Movie Maker works great so it is definitely something related to the Pinnacle Software installation. No information in regards to this on-line. I removed 10 and still no go. This is a hog of a beast on your computer resources also. WOW!

Drivers on card and computer are fully up to date and with no conflicts. This is a dedicated machine so I really treat this baby with kit gloves.

I know it is something stupid but after reading all the other posts on the forums I am really puzzled as to what they are thinking or doing.

I am about to and have decided upon on going with Adobe Premier Pro and After Effects so I can get something more stable and gain some growth with my editing.

I recently won Avid's software package listed below in my sig line but I really am not wanting to change my thinking patens in regards to editing nor have to throw quite a bit more money into this machine to operate fully. In addition I have no one around me that knows the program. I would much rather work with something that others have more knowledge in and more information available on.

Thanks for your comments as I hope it will help others in the future when they do the same as I.

Scooter
    AMD Athlon 3200
    Asus A7N8X Dlux
    ATI Video
    1 Gig Mem
    Windows XP Pro
    2 Seagate ATA 160 Gig HD,1 Maxtor 120 Gig HD
    Sony DRU-510 DVD/CD Burner
    Viewsonic 19\"LCD
    Pinnacle 10 PlusMediaSuite
    PremierPro 1.5 Suite
    Sony HVR-A1U 1080i HDV Camcorder

Default re: scooter

Good move onto Premiere Pro, although it's out of my budget so I'm going for the Elements2 package. I'll use it for home DVDs so it should be enough.

Thanks

Agemurph & Others.

Do not forget that if you are a student that you can pick up these powerful programs at a much discounted price over regular. Only things they change are some very slight removals of fonts or other misc. items that you probably would not ever realize was missing. Not sure of your age so just wanted to pass along this info. You just have to prove you are a student when you purchase or register. My wife is a teacher so she is able to purchase at a discounted rate as well. YEAH!!!

Scooter
    AMD Athlon 3200
    Asus A7N8X Dlux
    ATI Video
    1 Gig Mem
    Windows XP Pro
    Viewsonic 19\"LCD
    PremierPro 1.5 Suite

My student life ended years ago, so no discount here. i do have a student friend though, i think a couple pints near the pub round the corner from PC World are in order!

I'm going for the elements2 as I don't have the time to put into learning Pro, I've used the trail version and man, that thing is packed! G'luck

New Info that may be beneficial to ALL about Version 10.

Well after much fuss and completely reinstalling everything from 7 to 8 to 9.4.3 I am finally back up and running. However I would like to share some information that I have learnt from talking for several hours with a Pinnacle Tech who took the time to work with me very closely. It was a very good tech call I have to admit even though I should never have had to make it in the first place.

1) Obviously as most of you have already found out, this upgrade is a substantial, and I mean substantial, resource hog. You will need to be sure that you have what you need before installing this upgrade as it will be extremely slow if not. 1 gig of ram min is what I am being told highly recommended.

2) DO NOT PAY ATTENTION to what they say the system min requirements are on the package. I have been told that even though I meet minimum in some cases and above in others, you need to look above at least 1 to two steps. Video card needs to be 256 if possible. Also need to be sure that your card handles Direct X 9 which is a key. They are finding that the most number of calls they are getting relates to lack of what is needed to utilize this program upgrade even though you may have been working fine in 9.

3) MAJOR NOTE: Do not run any type of firewall software when you install and utilize the program. Apparently this is a biggy and many do not know this information.

Now I am by no means an expert nor claim to know everything, but I just wanted to share what I have experienced and what to expect.

Patches are on the way and they are fully aware of some very serious problems that have come up. They have already released at least one patch. I understand in talking with the representative that they will be releasing a substantial patch at the end of Jan. or first part of Feb. Obviously this could change but that is the rumor.

I hope this is helpful to some of you and I wish you well.

Scooter
    AMD Athlon 3200
    Asus A7N8X Dlux
    ATI Video
    1 Gig Mem
    Windows XP Pro
    Viewsonic 19\"LCD
    PremierPro 1.5 Suite

When will software companies learn? Test your products and do something about the defects before releasing to the public: everyone gains in the long run.

Patches should either improve core functionality or fix security issues. The fact that Pinnacle are releasing a service pack so close to the original roll out smacks that there is something fundamentally wrong with the product that was never picked up, or worse still ignored, in User Acceptance Testing.

A major part of my job involves regression testing of finance related software. I understand how important testing is. Shame that Pinnacle don't share this understanding.

Image if a pharmecutical company released a drug knowing there were some serious side effects. They wouldn't, or if they did they'd make it abundantly clear.

Fully agree Marc. It really is a shame and as some have mentioned earlier, I am sure that Christmas being just around the corner really pushed their mindset. GET IT OUT NO MATER THE CONSEQUENCES and we will deal with this after the Holidays.

In a way they are acting like some Pharmaceutical companies act. Sell the drug and we will handle the small number of law suits as they occur. They are pushing on the gain that will hopefully out way the problems that come up. Make money, make money, make money.

I hope that Avid has something to say about all of this shortly as this does not reflect well on them now that they have purchased Pinnacle. Someone’s head better roll for this screw-up.

Scooter
    AMD Athlon 3200
    Asus A7N8X Dlux
    ATI Video
    1 Gig Mem
    Windows XP Pro
    Viewsonic 19\"LCD
    PremierPro 1.5 Suite

I have just ordered Pinnacle 10 PLUS Upgrade having found Pinnacle 9 great. What do people recommend to do? Install the latest patch? or if its not broke, dont fix it? Also, any tips when installing apart from turning off firewalls

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast