Thread: Analogue Capture in Premier Pro?

Default Analogue Capture in Premier Pro?

Is Analogue Capture in Premier Pro possible?

If so I don't see my VideoSafe device as a capture device.

If you can't capture analogue in Prem Pro can it be done in Premier 6?

I ask this because the software bundle that comes with the VideoSafe device ProPix cannot capture properly, it drops frames and gives me a dreadful capture.

My PC spec is fine and I've had no trouble with my DV cam and Prem Pro. I can only imagine that because the software tries to encode to MPEG as it's capturing it causes the glitches.

However, MovieMaker does a good capture, but again is encoded to wmv and I want a straightforward .avi.

Anyone got any good ideas?

Premiere pro does not natively support analogue capture. As far as I know neither does Premiere 6.

I suggest you use the capture utility that came with your a2d converter box to do the capture and then import those captures into PPro. That's what I had to do.

Unless, of course, you have some super whizzo card (like the Matrox RT.X100) that does it all for you and convinces PPro that it is indeed a digital signal coming in after doing the conversion.

Cheers for the advice Alan.

As the software that came with the capture device is choppy at best I've had to use Movie Maker, capture in 640x480 as a wmv and then convert to avi using seperate software.

Bit of a nightmare as the convert takes about 5 hours for 15 mins of footage, but this is a one off project so I'll have to persist.

Is this the bunny?

http://www.ziocorp.com/products/videosafe_body.html

The web page clearly states standard NTSC and PAL resolutions. Select one of those.

Also, what is your ultimate video source. Is this from an analgue camcorder or VHS or what? Curious that you get bad video. Shame you;re not just up the road. I'd do the capture for you.

Also, I presume you have done the obvious and made sure the hard drive you are capturing to is well defragged and has plenty of contiguous space?

Tell us what setting you are using to do the capture. Supply screen shots. you might have just done somethign silly like entered a very low bitrate or something.

Cheers Alan,

I'll get some grabs and post them up. Yes that is the bunny I'm using, but as always the hardware never seems to come up to scratch when you use it.

You check the recommended specs and think "My PC will well run that" - you install it and it's a huge disapointment.

My ultimate source is standard VHS and my hard drive is fine, done all the usual checks. I will add that I'm using a laptop with 1024meg of memory and 80 gb harddrive. I've only recently bought it new so I would have thought everything would be fine.

Prem Pro works great.