Thread: Help please

Default Help please

Hi, any chance of some advice please.

I am trying to create my first DVD and I have captured the movie into Pinnacle Expression instant suite. I have combined scenes and I was trying to write the movie to an 8x speed 120min video DVD+R. My DVD writer write speed is 16x. Details of the saved movie in Pinnacle are, DVD quality 63%, time remaining 30 sec, 1 hour 19 mins and 99% full. The problem has been that when I first tried to write the DVD it took 3 hours to do 15% of creating disc content then on my second attempt it took 5 hours to do 25% of writing disc content. I have an AMD Athlon 1.24ghz processor and the instructions detail a Pentium or AMD processor.

Thanks, in anticipation.

Assuming you captured to Pinnacle in DV and edited the resulting AVI file, it sounds like Pinnacle is converting to MPEG2 in order to squidge your Multi-Gigabyte masterpiece onto a 4 Gig DVD - this takes time - lots of time !

Even a 3 GHz machine might take 3 or 4 hours to render an hours video to MPEG2 if you're going for top quality.

If Pinnacle will let you, create a DVD image on your hard drive first, then you can write the image to DVD at 8x - and you can write more copies from the same image if you want

So just be patient and let your machine take its time to do the MPEG encoding - you can leave it running overnight

Western Europe

Your computer is on the slow side with only a 1.24ghz cpu, you would need at least a 2.6ghz to kick ass and 1GB of memory along with a Front Side Bus speed of 800mhz. Personally, I would go for a 256mb graphics card for previews, quick redraws and rendering transitions and SFX.

Thanks Gentle and Nikosony,

I think I will take Gentle’s advice and leave it running one afternoon, evening and night if need be. Do you think its better for me in the future to write 3 or 4 smaller movies to DVD – RW and to take the risk it won’t play in the household DVD player? Can you put 3 or 4 movies on a re writable DVD? Sorry Nikosony, you lost me just into the second sentence of your reply.