Thread: Scene detection in analogue capture

Default Scene detection in analogue capture

Hi, I'm a relative newbie, any advice will be much appreciated!
    I am using a Belkin USB 2.0 DVD Creator to transfer my old Hi8 camcorder tape into my 1.6Gh/ P4 PC.
    The tranfer works fine, but there is no scene detection facility when using the supplied Ulead Studio 6SE editing software. If I transfer via the Windows Movie maker 2 programme the scenes are detected just fine, but this software is limited, and I would rather use something more capable.
    Are there any, not too expensive, software programmes that offer scene detection for analogue capture?
    Thank you
    Chris

Blog Entries

Why not use WMM to capture your clips, then import these clips into Ulead Media Studio?

Default ulead media studio?

Hi
    Thanks for your your reply, I will check out media studio I assume it recognises WMM files? The studio 6 version I am now using doesn't!
    Sorry if this sounds a bit vague but I am very new to this, can I capture in WMM and then transfer all the clips to Media Studio or does it have to be edited in WMM first?
    Thanks once again for your time.
    Chris

Blog Entries

Sorry, by Media Studio, I though you meant Ulead Media Studio. I've just checked out the version 6SE that I have (bundled with a piece of hardware, so it's prob the version you have), but it doesn't appear to support WMV (and I can't get onto their site to see if there's any updates available)!

However, I'm not too keen on scene detection myself. Is there a particular reason you wanted to use this? It does tend to stiffle creativity - manually creating scenes yourself starts to get you thinking more about the editing process, and gets you thinking about how you can present your video. I also use the capture stage as the first part of the editing process by simply not capturing footage I know won't make the "final cut". This also saves on harddrive space.

Another advantage of manually capturing is giving your file names recognisable names - this also helps in the editing process as you start thinking less linearly, i.e you tend not to put the footage in chronological order, but rather in the most logical/humurous/artistic manner.

For me, the joy of video editing is the editing itself... and if you manually capture footage, you'll start to improve the finished article...

Default Scene detection

Hi Marc
    Thank you for your latest comments which are very valid gives me food for thought for future video.
    My main desire for scene detection is that I am sifting through some very old 8mm and Hi8 footage going back years, this was before I was adept at capturing with the final edit in mind!
    You are correct in the fact that Ulead Studio 6 does not recognise WMV files, I have to use other software to convert them, to enable me to record to VCD.
    Once again thanks for the input, will have a go at the editing the way you suggest on my next project.
    Chris