Thread: best method for capturing clips from DV Cam

Default best method for capturing clips from DV Cam

HI,

New to the whole video editing scene and wondering the best way to achieve results with Adobe Prem Pro.

What I want to do is rip my videos from my DV cam and cut them up into smaller avi files that I can name and keep and then after combine them into one movie after cutting out all the crap.

What i'm wondering is it best to rip the video off the camera into one big file and cut it up from there or capture it in the bits and pieces straight off.

I would prefer to be able to do it after ripping the footage off the camera in one big file so i don't need the camera all the time but can't find a way to create clips from clips or how to 'cut' pieces out of the main clip.

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

Rybriggs

Whatever you do, DO NOT use a firewire cable!!! Doing so will only cause your computer to blow up spontaneously sending bits of plastic and metal into your eyeballs!!!

*sniggers*

lol, I have ripped the whole tape to an avi no probs, but its like 16gig. Is there an easy way to trim this into smaller clips before piecing it together in a sequence?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadWimp
    Whatever you do, DO NOT use a firewire cable!!! Doing so will only cause your computer to blow up spontaneously sending bits of plastic and metal into your eyeballs!!!

*sniggers*
    Stop it.

*bang*

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rybriggs
    lol, I have ripped the whole tape to an avi no probs, but its like 16gig. Is there an easy way to trim this into smaller clips before piecing it together in a sequence?
    I normally capture in short clips, then use these files for editing.

First up HUGE LOL at the Don't use firewire.

When you're importing video into Premiere, especially using a DV camera, you have the option to detect scenes. If you use this option, the computer automatically starts a new file each time it detects a break in the tapes timecode. A lot of the tapes I convert are supplied on HI-8 so I end up having to import the whole video as one file and then look through the whole video and make necessary cuts. With the scene detect on Digital-8, Mini-DV or other DV cameras, this makes the process so much easier.

Sometimes it doesn't always detect scenes, esp if there's a gap on the tape, but you can generally see these by looking through the audio track and looking for a noticeable flat point in the audio.

Hope that helps you.