Thread: Mp2 file importing into authoring program

Default Mp2 file importing into authoring program

I have 1 mp2 file of 2.5GB and a .wav file which was exported from a Premier project.
    I am now trying to import them into Pinnacle Impression 2.1SE. (Old version I suppose). It appears to import but if I try to drag the mp2 file to the timeline it says "The video file has not finished importing". This is long after the progress bar has finished. I thought the file may be corrupt but it plays OK in Media Player.
    I also have Pinnacle Expression as part of Instant CD/DVD but that does not recognise either the mp2 file or the wav file. According to help it should allow both of them to import. Anyway I'm stuck for now as I can't author the video and make the DVD.
    Is it possible that these programs are too old and do not recognise mp2 files?
    Do you have any ideas about how I can import the files into my software or is there any freeware or demo software I could try off the net?
    Evesham Computer: Windows XP home SP2, Premier 6.02, Pinnacle DV 500.

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

MP2 is usually an audio file compressed with Mpeg 1-level 2. I think you really mean an MPEG2 video file, which can have a file name suffix of .MPG, .MPV, or .M2V ( and probably others I've never heard of ).

If you really mean an MP2 audio file, then think about how huge that is. At 384kbps, the typical bit rate for DVD type compressed audio, that means it's more than 14 hours long!

As far as your .wav file loading, you might want to let your PC set a bit after the load process indicates it's done. It may be busy transcoding the audio data into an internal working format or simply generating the quasi-waveform for display.

PS - Chucking a movie length MPEG2 into an editor like Premier always puts a strain on a PC's resources because temporary working files of even greater length are being made, since an MPEG2 compressed file can't be directly edited. It has to be decompressed first. If you don't have NTSF format hard drives to put them on, you'll probably crash every time the FAT32 file size limit of 4GB is hit.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Thanks Crusty for your reply.
    You are right the video file is mpeg 2 I'm not sure of the actual extension because even with "details" view in the folder the extension is not shown. I suspect its .mpeg.
    I have now solved the problem simply by getting Ulead Movie factory 4 disc creator. It imported both files perfectly and I was able to author the DVD and burn it in one process, very easy. The video and audio play perfectly.
    Just a case of old software I think.
    Evesham Computer: Windows XP home SP2, Premier 6.02, Pinnacle DV 500.