Thread: mpeg2 to DVD

Default mpeg2 to DVD

Hi,
    I encoded thevideo files I have into mpeg2 files, now I want to put them on a dvd, but don't know how,
    I have 10 files, can I put them all on one DVD? the whole size of the 10 files is 2gb
    and is there a way I can use VCD quality on a dvd
    please help me in this

Thanks

If you have Nero vision express ( part of nero 6 full version not oem) you can create a dvd by simply importing your
    DVD compliant mpeg2 files. There are several other cheap software
    eg
    http://www.ulead.co.uk/dmf/dmf_stand/features.htm
    Ulead DVD Moviefactory and a host of other dvd creating software ( also called DVD authoring programs) are able to automate the process for you including creating a menu for chapters etc
    You can use any quality of video as the source material tocreate a dvd as long as it has been encoded to dvd compliant mpeg2. For instance, you can create a dvd from mpeg1 vcd files, analogue sources( vhs) which have been digitised on capture to pc, these days even mjpegs and divx files, The quality on DVD will obviously reflect the quality of the source material but it will still play on a dvd as long as it is "convertable" to DVD compliant mpeg 2 which will ultimately end up as VOB file , the video aspect of a DVD structure.
    You can put all your 10 mpegs of 2g on a DVD. A single layer o DVD-R /+R of 4.7G will comfortable take all your files a highest quality .
    Where greatness is possible excellence is not enough

I have both programs but when i try to make the dvd they say I need more than 1 dvd for the project, the time duration of the 10 files is almost 3.5 hours, and I encoded them at 352x240 resolution, and 690 bitrate rate, with 48khz Audio at 64kbit bitrate rte.
    I wonder is it possible to put files encoded with mpeg1 (VCD) quality on a dvd?, do 1 dvd can fit the whole files?

Quote Originally Posted by mselima
    I have both programs but when i try to make the dvd they say I need more than 1 dvd for the project, the time duration of the 10 files is almost 3.5 hours, and I encoded them at 352x240 resolution, and 690 bitrate rate, with 48khz Audio at 64kbit bitrate rte.
    I wonder is it possible to put files encoded with mpeg1 (VCD) quality on a dvd?, do 1 dvd can fit the whole files?

A direct answer to your question about vcd files on a DVD is No :cry: you cannot use them as they are .
    If your vcd files appear on a DVD they have more than likely been reencoded as stated below.

The files do not seem to be dvd compliant both in terms of resolution and encoding rate. it seems to me that they are only 2 gigs in total in thier current state. When the dvd "authoring" programs want to transcode them to standard dvd mpeg2's, the file size changes and it is no longer possible to fit the "expanded " resulting files onto a single 4.7g dvd or indeed 2 as your information suggests.
    Conventionally you will get only 1 hr of high quality dvd video on a single layer 4.7g disc and 2 hrs of "standard quality". Beyond that, you either need a dual layer disc 8.5G (240 min standard ) ( tricky, but possible and not universally compatible) or need to divide your project onto 2 ( or more) discs. :cry:

Your profile does not say where you are and therefore if your DVD is going to end up as PAL or NTSC.
    BTW what did you encode your video files with in the first instance?

In theory you can get a 325x 240 ( NTSC) resolution video onto DVD . In reality
    1) its video encoding bitrate is too low Even vcd is fixed at (1150)
    2) its audio encoding bitrate is too low :( (1536 for dvd, 224 for vcd )

It is gennerally expected that your resolution will be 720x 480 ( NTSC) 720x 576 ( PAL) with an average video encoding bitrate of 4000- 6000 bps.
    This is a big jump from where you are now so both the programs see your current mpeg2 files as DVD non-compliant and then reencode them with resulting bigger file size.
    Get a copy of Tmpgenc / Express and directly convert the files yourself: the results will be enlightening
    Hope this clears your query
    Where greatness is possible excellence is not enough