Thread: AGC or not

Default AGC or not

I have a Panasonic NV-GS400 and on setting it up I see there are several options for mic level - Auto, MNL(AGC), MNL(No AGC). I'm not sure which is the best one to use.

I'm filming an event this weekend where there will be big differences in sound volume (loud music to people speaking). Could someone help me please?

I haven't used a GS400 and was just wondering is there anyway to visually monitor the audio level being recorded? Personally I wouldn't rely on the auto system as it ramps the sound up in quiet surroundings and then lowers it in noisy surroundings.

So, if I'm filming an event with a lot of variation in sound volume would it just be better to use auto?

In professional television and film production AUTO MODE simply doesn't exist. And it is always the techniques used on television and film production that we mere mortals try to emulate. If you have manual control over your audio recording levels then use it. It means more planning and getting to know your equipment in a more detailed way than just using Auto Mode.

ive got a m8 who i am seeing tomorrow (nick) and he has that cam so i will ask him whats the best...

Thanks Nikosony and Luke D for your replies. So much to learn and so little time it seems. If I didn't enjoy video editing so much I would have given up soon after I started.

Stick with it Kiwigran, we'll eventually ween you off the Prozac.

ahh..i totaly forgot..i will sykpw him tonight!