Thread: Details details details - another Millsy rant!

Default Details details details - another Millsy rant!

[rant]It seems that, this week, I keep finding that I'm replying to posts asking for more details so that I might actually be able to help with a problem.

So for anyone looking to post a question.... remember to give us all pertinent information.

If I said "My car won't start, what's the problem?" How many people will actually be able to give the right answer with that level of information? it could be anything from the battery being dead to someone having stollen the engine... yet on these forums we get this all the time lately.

I'm not even going to reply to this type of post anymore - or at least not until I calm done about it anyways [/rant]

Blog Entries

You're quite correct Alan. You wouldn't go to the doctor and say, 'I'm ill'.

An ideal solution would be to have two different types of posting:

1) The forums as they are for informal chats and discussions; and
    2) A subforum where each initial thread has certain required boxes dependant on drop down selected critera, eg version of software, PC specs etc.

Just to let everyone know, this won't ever happen without some serious investment of time and money from muggins here!

Some of you may have seen the 'support' section above (http://www.videoforums.co.uk/reviews/support). I put this here as a work in progress so that people I provide hosting for have a way of contacting me for support. I guess this is more along the lines of 'paid' support, but give you an idea.

So essemtially the initial post would contain additional data fields to the existinmgg 'subject' and 'body'.

Discuss.

You have to be careful not to have a go at people about it too much though. Just because we've seen a lot of it and said it a lot of times doesn't mean that someone that's new to the forum has seen it a lot of times.

I know a lot of it is down to common sense, and we've all been guilty of overlooking obvious things and forgetting to mention certain points, but sometimes it's difficult to appreciate that you've not always known the information you know now, and you have to give people a bit of leeway - get used to the fact that people are going to ask what might seem like daft questions, and not patronise or have a go at people when they ask questions that we've seen a million times before.

In addition to the other point - the additional info fields would be a great idea!

Blog Entries

I work within a technically complex industry which demands detailed specifications to problems. I'm used to having to write exactly what the programmers need to know.

I understand that not everyone has the ability to explain technical problems. However, the OP will get a quicker and more relevant answer by providing as much info up front.

I can often see 3 or 4 potential solutions to a problem, but don't have the time to write them all out. If the OP had given me a few more details, I'd only have to write one of them and he / she would have an answer. As it is, I sometimes write a list of questions only for the OP not to reply.

I've had to stop responding to these posts alltogether. I've seen a pattern emerge with me where I see one of these posts and I turn into a condesending tosser.
    With the growth of the forum it means that there will be more and more of these so I guess its either leave em be or be a patient patien PATIENT contributor.