Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying Video with new camera mounting system

Default Flying Video with new camera mounting system

Hello All,

I've worked on the feedback recieved from last time about using more camera angles. Here is a short 3 minute video experimenting with this new setup:

http://www.emuvideo.com/videos.php?page=trike20051030

Enjoy,

Damien

Didn't see the first video but this one was filmed and edited professionally.

Sound over (narration) could be better but depends on what sound gear you're using, however an easy barrier to overcome.

Definitely, in my opinion, TV material. Very well done Damien

Blog Entries

Hey, that is a ZILLION times better. Those varied shots have really made the difference. Very interesting to watch, very entertaining and all in all, very, very good.

Shiner -> thanks! Sound is something I need to work on. For this one, I used a web cam mic with some pad over it. Seems to capture higher freqs better. But still I need to work on polishing the volume levels etc....

Here is a link to a previous one I posted using a different cam mount and not so good mic:

http://www.emuvideo.com/videos.php?page=trike20050917

Turn Media -> thanks again. I plan to head to Monument Valley in two weeks so hopefully if all goes well (weather and timewise) we can get some great footage.

Cheers,

Damien

Blog Entries

I look forward to that one Damien. I've just watched the latest one again and have to say again I think it's really a major step forward for you.

I guess you'll be able to get better footage of your flying partner now too. If you flew around him and tracked him with the new mount the possiblilities are awesome.

Keep at it!

Andy.

Wow...loved it,

Cant criticise in anyway as I know the challenges of filming in non terrestrial conditions (I film underwater). I'm just about finished my first self narrated short. I feel like a kids tv presenter doing the talking. Your narration was very clear tho'.

Well done, great stuff

I'll post mine this weekend
    If you don't stand for something....you'll fall for anything!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleturtle
    ... I feel like a kids tv presenter....
    So do I when I see Holly Willoughby on MOM.

*snigger*

>>I feel like a kids tv presenter doing the talking. Your narration was very clear tho'.

PurprleTurtle -> When I first started narrating after a friends suggesting they get pretty plain after a while, I was embarressed and thought I sounded like an idiot. Now it's my personal soap box and actually think now that I sound OK, except when I'm holding the camera and taping friends/family informally then I say something, and my voice booms on the tape.

Anyway, I'd say my filiming is easy compared to attempting anything underwater! I think you have already posted your clip, so I'll check it out.

I remember toying with my new expensive (for me) TRV950 with my "motorcycle buddy" and actually mounted the camera in unusual positions to get nice shots of him, but I was lucky not to lose the cam! Now I have tiny bullet cameras, life is a lot safer for my TRV 950. Here is a link to that short I did last year:

http://www.emuvideo.com/videos.php?page=emc

Turn Media -> I just checked out http://www.hollywilloughby.co.uk/ , never heard of hear here in the U.S.

Good taste...........

Maybe she would care for a joy flight?

Dude - I also watched the previous one and I have to agree - impressive - Huge improvement. The cuts were all excellent and the music well chosen.

As you said the sound mix was a bit weak but you can sharpen this up. Where you have the popping on the V.O. dip the audio at these points so it's not too harsh. As for mic choice - I assume you were limited to the tools you had but its still ok.

There are two solutions you should apply to the next one -

firstly - go buy a pair of ladies stockings, take one fold it in on it's self - get a wire coat hanger and pull the stocking over it. do the same with the other stocking - instant pop shield and it will work.

Second - I have worked as a voice director for the past 3 years and popping does still happen even with experienced Voice Over Artists. You need to start practicing how to soften your pronuciation on hard sounding syllabuls - relax your lips when pronouncing them this will dtramatically cut down on the popping.

This is inspiring me on writing a Voice Over guide - hmmmm.

One of the things that's missing from the video is actual sound from the flight. - There is no fill sound so it appears a lil unnatural. I assume that there is possibly a huge amount of engine/wind noise that is too loud for the camera mic but there I can suggest 2 solutions for you.

Fisrtly - Wrap a towel or lots of toilet paper round the mic to deaden it.
    Secondly - film a mate flying past in close proximity just for atmos fill sound.

My last point on this is some graphics - It would be great if you added some text to it with some info like the location you are flying, the date and any geographical points of interest.

All in all an excellent job. Really fantastic work mate.

Hello most knowledgable irishmark,

Thanks for the tips, I will get them into action, as yeah the voice over volume/popping is my achilles heel at the moment!

I spend much time messing around with the volumes etc... I'm using a web cam mic for now which seems to pick up the higher freqs better than the other mic.

When I read the ladies stockings, I was getting excited, thinking you would suggest to for me to wear them for better sound, but was let down a little. But I think the wire coat hanger idea will work better than wearing them!

Getting engine sound in flight is a real pain. But you are right, I will persevere and will get some film of my friends flying by and use that sound.

I plan to go to Monument valley with 2 other pilots in a couple of weeks, if the weather holds out, and all things go well, I will polish it all off and be ready for that trip!

Will be less "incognito" in future about where I'm flying etc... Maybe I can dissolve into some moving maps effects....

Thanks irishmark, I don't care what the others say about you, your a big help

Cheers,

Damien

P.S. my wife will kill me now as I already spend a ton of time on these...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast