Thread: Dropped Frames capturing from PS2 in VirtualDub

Default Dropped Frames capturing from PS2 in VirtualDub

Okay, I'm using a "Xpert DVD Maker USB 2.0" and VirtualDub with my PS2. Capturing raw is perfect, I get a straight 30 FPS, but that takes up massive amounts of space, of course. So, trying to use VD to capture and compress it, and regardless of whether I use DivX or XviD, I only get about 27-28 FPS. While this might not be such a big issue with capturing TV, you can REALLY tell with this, and I'm trying to capture cinematics to show to some friends. At first I thought it was just CPU power that was lacking, at home I run a 1.5 Ghz Athlon XP 1800+, with a gig of RAM, so I tried it on my girlfriend's laptop, a 2.something Ghz Athlon 64 3200+, but I get the same results. Can anyone help me?

:/ Can nobody help me with this?

Surely someone must have some information to help me...

Blog Entries

To be honest none of use really have much experience of capturing video games. I would suggest that you capture as stated above using a lossless codec such a huffyuv, then convert after capture. That way you're giving the CPU and hrardrives time to encode - at the moment you're expecting realtime conversion which is leading to dropped frames.

I would suggest you also defrag your harddrives and delete all unncecessary large fils.

Hmm.. I wonder if defragging would help, tried huffYUV but I still get some dropped frames. Will try defragging. Thanks! Sometimes the solution is the simplest one.