Thread: Video to Dvd quality

Default Video to Dvd quality

As a newcomer to formating a wedding video into a dvd i am left with what is probably a common problem. The video is a perfect picture but when i transfer it from the camera onto the hard drive and then in turn onto a dvd the quality of reproduction is poor. I am using Roxio as my editing programme. I need some guidance in lay mans terms as i am also not upto top speed with computers.[/b]

Once again. Details details details. How are you transferring? What s/w for the transfer? what settings? How is the camera connected? USB or firewire?

Off the cuff, if you are disillusioned about quality then I suspect you are transferring using USB.

Default Video to Dvdd quality

Thanks for the reply. The reproduction on the computer screen is as good a quality as the video. So could this problem still be because i am using a usb from camera to computer?

It was just a guess but if you are using USB as your transfer mechanism then that is almost certainly the cause.

It's a very common issue we deal with here. (In fact so common that if it were a bad day you might have got sarcastic replies insetad of more ehjelpful ones depending on who found the question first )

Cameras often come with a USB lead and not a firewire lead. What's not always made clear is that the USB lead is for transferring stills only. Video transfer should ALWAYS be performed across a firewire connection. This cannot be emphasised strongly enough.

It's simply a case of use firewire or suffer crap video quality forever.

as newbie to all of this forum (1st post) you may wish to try this or not.

transfer video to dvd disc via a dvd recorder.

stick finalised dvd in your computer and de-crypt it using the dvd dycrypter software.

use womble mpeg video wizard to open your vob file.

do as you wish on timeline but try and limit effects.

save and export it to an mpeg2 file (try layer 1 or 2 audio setting) - there will be little or no loss of quality of the overall video.

exporting should be quite quick

then use tsunami dvd author pro to author and put it on a dvd disc

this is a bit time consuming but no loss of quality should occur and it won't matter too much if you do not have a hi spec computer either.

hope this helps

if anyone knows of a better way of transferring analogue video over to a final dvd without too much if any loss of quality then i really want to know.

happy and frustrate free converting

I usually hook a VCR player up to our VTR (or camera) and use the "composite to firewire" passthrough to "capture" the vhs onto the PC straight to a fullframe avi ready for editing/ encoding as required...

Pretty sure must DV cameras have this facility...

Many thanks to all who have helped so far. Not only am i a novice at copying, i am only an average computer user, so replys in as easier terms as possible please. It turns out that i do have a firewire. The writing on it is as follows; AWM E101344 STYLE20276 VW-1 80c 30V SPACE SHUTTLE. I do not have a recordable dvd player so that option i can not use. I originaly thought that the picture from my hard drive was good, but on closer inspection it is only marginaly better than the finished dvd. Which in turn is very poor compared to the video i copied, straight to a tv video set.

sorry...I think I misunderstood...(blame it on the stella!)

I thought, for some bizarre reason, you were trying to capture footage from a vhs tape!!! I just re-read your post and realised what a retard I am!

OOPS!

(edited cause I cant spell either!